What's new

Thinking of buying an aftermarket battery grip? Think again

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
517
Reaction score
25
Location
Fort Collins, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
308686_10150422729258210_748608209_10224515_2050149359_n.jpg




This is why you don't buy cheap aftermarket battery grips. I bought my grip from an online company hoping to save some money, but the buttons and command dials stopped working after a while, and the wheel that lets you take off the grip broke and was stuck on. So I had to use a dremel and some precise cutting to get it off.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Flickr: Discussing First Disappointment with Canon in Canon DSLR User Group

To be fair official ones have plastic cogs in them and its a well documented fact that if you overtighten the screw the grip will get stuck on the body (as is the case with my grip on my 400D*); that said own brand and good quality 3rd party grips shouldn't have the buttons die on you.



* that said I use a wrist strap and - never have any need to want to take the grip off anyway so its no problem for me
 
My brand-name grip works great!
 
Guilty! I have 2 aftermarket grips and (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have never had a problem with them. I use them rarely. Being female it makes my cameras so big and bulky without any major lens, then add my 70-200's and it's painful. I keep one on the 7D because I seem to have a battery eating problem there with an IS lens on it.
 
My 2 aftermarket grips have been flawless, but maybe by me posting this i just jinx them
bigthumb.gif
 
Guilty! I have 2 aftermarket grips and (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have never had a problem with them. I use them rarely. Being female it makes my cameras so big and bulky without any major lens, then add my 70-200's and it's painful. I keep one on the 7D because I seem to have a battery eating problem there with an IS lens on it.

Actually I think the 7D also drains batteries faster because of its viewfinder which requires constant trickle power to be usable (take the batteries out and get a shock when you look through the viewfinder!). I've certainly noticed that thought light use my 7D with 2 batteries still drains down faster than my 400D.
 
Guilty! I have 2 aftermarket grips and (KNOCK ON WOOD) I have never had a problem with them. I use them rarely. Being female it makes my cameras so big and bulky without any major lens, then add my 70-200's and it's painful. I keep one on the 7D because I seem to have a battery eating problem there with an IS lens on it.

Actually I think the 7D also drains batteries faster because of its viewfinder which requires constant trickle power to be usable (take the batteries out and get a shock when you look through the viewfinder!). I've certainly noticed that thought light use my 7D with 2 batteries still drains down faster than my 400D.

Glad I am not the only one. I have had people think I am insane for saying that! It's the same battery as is in the 5D2 and the 5D2 doesn't drain them that fast. Or at least I don't think it does... I don't use it as much or in as demanding circumstances, so... Maybe?
 
I'm not sure and with all the gadgets inside a DSLR its hard to guess - but I'd suspect that whilst IS does put more drain on the batteries, something in the 7D puts a bigger drain; if its not the trickle power for the viewfinder I'd then say that it could be that highly advanced AF system that might be drawing more power.
 
Hmm..I've used off-brand grips on both my D90 and D300s. Neither of which ended badly. If I don't jump to a camera with one built in, I'll probably use one again on my upgrade, whatever it is. Sorry to see your experience. :(

Mark
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom