Thinking of getting a 35mm prime...

JGinLV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm considering on getting a Canon EF 35 F/2 prime (the f/1.4 L is just too expensive for me right now) for my Canon T2i (1.6x crop). I already have a 50mm, 18-55, 55-250, and a Speedlite 580. I know that the 18-55 covers the range I have with the 50 and 35 (if I get it), but I figured the speed and quality would improve with the prime.

I've got a lil one coming and would like to get some great shots. I'd also be shooting some landscape and other portraits.

Any thoughts?

I've used the 35mm f/2, and it performs well optically. However, you should know that the "speed" is not going to be there. I am assuming you have the 50mm f/1.8? The focusing on the 35mm f/2 is provided by a similar, noisy mechanism as the 50mm f/1.8. It's not terribly fast to focus, and is loud.

I'd look into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if you're looking for wider. Possibly even a 28mm prime.

I have heard lots of good things about the sigma 30mm.

I'm considering on getting a Canon EF 35 F/2 prime (the f/1.4 L is just too expensive for me right now) for my Canon T2i (1.6x crop). I already have a 50mm, 18-55, 55-250, and a Speedlite 580. I know that the 18-55 covers the range I have with the 50 and 35 (if I get it), but I figured the speed and quality would improve with the prime.

I've got a lil one coming and would like to get some great shots. I'd also be shooting some landscape and other portraits.

Any thoughts?

Stay 50 and above for portraiture, unless your wimins noses are too small. Then go ahead and widen them gals up

I wonder how the Tokina 35mm f2.8 macro would stand up against the Canon 35mm f2 in performance. The Tokina also has a somewhat slower and noisy AF system, but otherwise I've read only good things of its optics in general, though I've honestly no other 35mm to compare mine against.

f2.8 to f2 isn't a world of difference between the two lenses; though it is again slipping you away from that "fast" short prime lens option by another touch.

35mm would be a nice all-round prime ... a bit too short for portraits but a nice walk-about lens

My 35 1.8 prime rarely comes off my camera.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back