Thoughts on this

Height w/o center column up is 56 inches. How tall are you?
I want a tripod high enough to put the camera at eye level, w/o using the center column.
Because the center column is a monopod, and you loose stability the higher you raise it.

Do you like ball heads?
I don't. I would just end up replacing the ball head with a pan head.

Never gave much thought to raised height vs non raised. I'm 69 inches so that would be some bending to use without raising.
I've never had a ball head. It seems as though it would have a bit more maneuverability than a pan head. I have a cheap tripod now with a pan head. It could be just poor design.

The camera will add a few inches, but yeah I think you will be bending over to use that tripod. How's your back?

A ball head is faster to move the camera into position, but not as precise. By precise, what I mean is that the ball moves in two axis at once (forward/backwards tilt and a left/right tilt). So I find it difficult to precisely position the camera. With a pan head, I move one axis at a time, so for me, it is easier to be more precise with a pan head.
I think it is easier to build a decent cheap pan head than ball head.
I have both ball and pan heads, and I will use whichever head best suits the job. In fact I had one shoot where neither worked well. So I bought a 3rd type of head, a gimbal. So for me, it is important that the head be removable, so that I can swap in the best head for the job. I have 1 ball head, 3 different pan heads, and a gimbal.

A _good_ ball head is VERY fast, and easy to use. Most "good" ball heads cost $150-$500. Many low-cost ball heads suffer from droop, or sag, after the lock is set whenever a heavier camera+lens combo is used. Meaning you aim,compose,and lock the ball...and the weight of camera and lens causes the ball to sag, so the framing is off. Still...the ballhead offers one-twist locking...very fast.

A _high quality_ ballhead is expensive, and fast, but still, most people have lesser-grade ballheads, and they're a PITA sometimes.

I have the prior version of that tripod/head. Derrel is correct. That head has a problem with my D7100 when I use the 70 - 300 mm lens. Simply put, it does sag. I am either going to order a pan head, or, when I use that combination, use my old Bogen 3047.

I have the prior version of that tripod/head. Derrel is correct. That head has a problem with my D7100 when I use the 70 - 300 mm lens. Simply put, it does sag. I am either going to order a pan head, or, when I use that combination, use my old Bogen 3047.

I had been thinking about this, but my alternative is not elegant.
Get a long AS rail, screw it to the body so that the rail runs parallel to the lens.
Attach the rail to the head at the balance point of the camera/lens/rail.
This "should" keep the setup from sagging.
This is the only thing I could think of to balance the load on the head.
And this is why I do not like that the manufacturers removed the tripod mount from the long lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back