Time to upgrade...but can't decide!

Get the D850. It's what you want. That said, I strongly recommend that you rent lenses first before buying. Make sure that you are happy with the lens results before buying.

I'd buy a used D800 for $800-$975...the market is FLOODED with them right now, and D800e's are also low-cost. I dunno...coming from a D7000, a D800 is like night and DAY in terms of file quality and ISO capability improvement over the 16-MP, APS-C sensor the D7000 had.

I'd spend the money on LENSES...get some good lenses for portrait work. The 70-200 zoom is a good first choice, and the new Tamron G-2 70-200mm f/2.8 is inexpensive as 70-200 lenses go, and is getting rave,rave reviews. But I'd go even better-quality lens wise, as well.

I dunno'....to me, new bodies are never worth their cost. The buffer issue is way over-stated for portraits and landscape uses; there's ample buffer in the D800 for any portrait sessions a normal person would shoot. I'm pleased with the 36-MP D800 files, very crop-able, very high-detail.

Again, you can get these bodies for under $1,000 now at brick-and-mortar stores; I bought a D800 for $795 not long ago at walk-in retail. A used D7200 is $500 at the place I bought the D800 from.

I think you ought to consider a few used prime lenses and a used D800 body, as a much better overall, total use of money than a new, overpriced, 45-megapixel portrait camera. I'd rather have a D800, a 50mm/1.8, a 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, and 85/1.8, and a used 180/2.8 ED~IF Nikkor, and TWO other used lenses...rather than a just a high-cost, D850 body.

Lenses are where it's at. By the way....if you bought a used D800 for a good price, you could buy the new 105mm f/1.4 Nikkor and own one of the world's _finest portrait length lenses_, for a reasonable amount of money. I'm advocating spend less on the body, and buying more and better lenses.

I'd buy a used D800 for $800-$975...the market is FLOODED with them right now, and D800e's are also low-cost. I dunno...coming from a D7000, a D800 is like night and DAY in terms of file quality and ISO capability improvement over the 16-MP, APS-C sensor the D7000 had.

I'd spend the money on LENSES...get some good lenses for portrait work. The 70-200 zoom is a good first choice, and the new Tamron G-2 70-200mm f/2.8 is inexpensive as 70-200 lenses go, and is getting rave,rave reviews. But I'd go even better-quality lens wise, as well.

I dunno'....to me, new bodies are never worth their cost. The buffer issue is way over-stated for portraits and landscape uses; there's ample buffer in the D800 for any portrait sessions a normal person would shoot. I'm pleased with the 36-MP D800 files, very crop-able, very high-detail.

Again, you can get these bodies for under $1,000 now at brick-and-mortar stores; I bought a D800 for $795 not long ago at walk-in retail. A used D7200 is $500 at the place I bought the D800 from.

I think you ought to consider a few used prime lenses and a used D800 body, as a much better overall, total use of money than a new, overpriced, 45-megapixel portrait camera. I'd rather have a D800, a 50mm/1.8, a 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, and 85/1.8, and a used 180/2.8 ED~IF Nikkor, and TWO other used lenses...rather than a just a high-cost, D850 body.

Lenses are where it's at. By the way....if you bought a used D800 for a good price, you could buy the new 105mm f/1.4 Nikkor and own one of the world's _finest portrait length lenses_, for a reasonable amount of money. I'm advocating spend less on the body, and buying more and better lenses.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I fully am with you on the glass being more important than the body. The g2 tamarins have been getting amazing reviews. Buying used always makes me nervous. Also my main concern is the age of these cameras both new and used. The fact that they came out years ago isn’t something I should worry about. I’m leaning towards the D810 because as much as I hate to admit it, I’m not a professional getting paid (yet) so I probably don’t need that sort of body. But I do want a good camera that can produce large prints at good quality. Your post has me wondering about the d800/e now haha

Time to hit the books again.

Most reactions

Back