Tips for shooting B&W

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello, I have a D40, and have yet to take and Black and White shots, but want to, and am going out today so maybe I'll try. Do you have any tips for shooting B&W shots? These will be of buildings/city shots, which I like in B&W, at least the ones I've seen. Does my camera have the setting to take the picture in B&W or is it all post-processing? thanks alot!

Definitely shoot in color and then convert to B&W in PP with either the channel mixer or whatever. The key to B&W is to "see" in B&W which takes time and a lot taking shots and then seeing what they look like converted. Usually you want scenes with a good amount contrast/areas of light and dark so that your picture does not come out looking all one shade of gray. Good luck and I hope you post your results

I agree, shoot in color and then use software to convert images to B&W. The key to good digital B&W is in the editing.

I'm also going to add my vote to the "Shoot in colour and convert to B/W in the computer" party. If you do it in camera, you are stuck with whatever the camera does. If you do it in photoshop, you have a lot more flexibility when it comes to the conversion.

I too am in the conversion crowd. I tried using the B&W mode in my D80, just to see how well it worked. While it was better than it was, it wasnt as good as it needs to be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back