To my fellow Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just voted! There were no lines at all.

And Helen B, I'm not paying attention to...ruining my moment ;D

The General Election is indeed historic, but it's also an historic event that my fellow TPFer's are able to keep such a thread going without making a mod step in to close it! :lol:

You guys rock. Carry on!

It's an exciting night! :D

[...] local proposed laws/issues, as well as other seats in public office to vote on. This election isn't just for the presidential seat.

OK, I'll give you that - I should have gone and voted on the local stuff, where my vote might actually matter. I don't know why I didn't, this is the first time (since I was of age) that I didn't vote. Apathetic is the only word to describe how I feel now. I honestly don't care who wins (I think we know who that will be) anymore.

Locally, there is one issue I should have voted on. They want to make my town wet, I should have gone and voted for that. I'm tired of paying double what a case of beer should cost just because there's only one place to buy alcohol within 30 miles.

Well, it's over now.

Well, it's over now.
Yup our time is up :(:shock:

I wish I could do a poll where comments were disabled, because i have one question about B. O.:shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said..... your vote is still a voice. Many (including me) feel if you didn't put in the effort to cast an intelligent vote, then you have no right to complain (all talk and no action... a whiner). The simple effort also fosters a more intelligent voter base which has been a problem in the U.S. for several decades now. If you have children, then they too will see your non-participation.

I'm a swing voter which keeps me involved in the issues each election cycle... it keeps me interested in an important event. I've yet to see anything that encourages confidence in the general voting public. Hearing people say that "I'd rather not vote" because I don't like either of the two parties is not encouraging. Remember there are other third party candidates, local proposed laws/issues, as well as other seats in public office to vote on. This election isn't just for the presidential seat.

If anything else... voting is a show of appreciation for those that sacrificed so that we have that right.

What I find interesting is that those that immigrated to this country from areas that give the people little to no voice are the most passionate. In my office, there are a few that fled the Soviet Union and it is those that seem to be the most knowledgeable during each election cycle.

usayit,
As I am reading every post in here, I am getting more and more discouraged. I started typing replies then I deleted them because it would be falling on deaf ears. Some people just don't get it, and if it had to be explained, it would just be more frustrating having to simplify it.

I want to thank you for hitting the nail on the head "repeatedly"!
  • If you don't vote, you have no right to ***** (4 year increments)
  • Many people died for your rights, the least you can do is take advantage of them while still recognizing them and giving respect.
Kudos to you for this post and thank you for getting it.

Last edited:
Well the person I voted for didn't win, but whatever..Some of my props won!

No it is a vote of dissent against two corrupt parties.

There were other choices on the ballot. And one less vote for a particular party is an endorsement for the other party. ;)

I should have gone and voted on the local stuff, where my vote might actually matter. I don't know why I didn't, this is the first time (since I was of age) that I didn't vote. Apathetic ......
They want to make my town wet, I should have gone and voted for that.....

:thumbup: Great... I feel like I've done my part. A couple fellows at work and I frequent political and historical discussions over lunch and smokes. We enjoy the topics and don't always agree with each other which is part of the fun. We've spent the better of the last two years trying to get the "youngins" involved in such discussions. 6 months into it and a funny thing started to happen. THEY STARTED TO ASK QUESTIONS! Wow. We continued to share ideas and learned from each other. Not a single one of them (ages 27 and under) have ever voted in their lives. This year they said they would.... who ever they voted for I am happy they participated.

"Apathetic"... Yes I know what you mean. I feel it too. I'm known within my circle as the pessimist (and sometimes related to the famous dwarf named Grumpy). I hate what has happened in our country but I am critical in hopes that things will improve. Getting others to open their eyes, make their own decisions, and learn about what is happening is just one way I go about it.... and more importantly, it keeps me from falling into the slump of apathy.

A friend once reminded me that the word apathetic is derived from the word pathetic. Then asked "is that how you want to describe yourself?"

btw.. you are from Texas. I was raised in Sugar Land and lived in Dallas several years prior to moving to the North East. I always thought the liquor laws in Texas were really strange. "Dry", "Semi-Dry", "Wet" with loop holes to get around certain laws. Texas is historically known for the big distrust in big government oversight (hence the a relatively weak powered Governor) which is why I find it strange how such laws ever made it into the books. Go figure...

usayit,
to thank you for hitting the nail on the head "repeatedly"!

I just felt that someone needed to say it in this thread. Cheers!!!!

On my way into work, CNN was reporting how so many around the world were huddled around news broadcasts watching American's and their vote. One such country even postponed the broadcast of a football (soccer) game to air the news. THAT IS SO FREAKIN AMAZING! Oh how I wish I could sit down with some of those folks, buy them a cup of coffee (or tea), and ask them a few questions.

I've only had to make a couple of edits in this thread for comments that crossed the line. :cheer:

We're making a bit of an exception here due to the historic nature of this election, and we want to let people comment, so PLEASE! - continue to tread carefully and avoid inflammatory remarks so we can keep the thread open.

Thanks, all.

Yup our time is up :(:shock:

I wish I could do a poll where comments were disabled, because i have one question about B. O.:shock:

Ahhh You call him the same thing I do... :er: I am not sure how the American people as a whole could elect a person we know so little about. I was watching Fox last night, and they said, "Well B.O (my own term) is President! I have no idea what he is going to do these 4 years, but he is President!" But the one thing that I noticed is that every single broadcast that I watched in utter disappointment turned this into a racial thing. Which in my book was upsetting. I wasn't voting black vs white, but I wonder if a good majority of people were. Either way, this would have been a historical election, first woman VP or black P. I just hate how the nation is using the racial card as a big deal. So what the guy is black... Get over it!:soapbox::waiting:

Yup, I even registered on the last day too!

I had to re-register when I got to the polls. I moved since I voted last and forgot to register. Oh well.. And when I voted there were no lines at all.. When I got there there was only one other person voting.

Ahhh You call him the same thing I do... :er: I am not sure how the American people as a whole could elect a person we know so little about. I was watching Fox last night, and they said, "Well B.O (my own term) is President! I have no idea what he is going to do these 4 years, but he is President!" But the one thing that I noticed is that every single broadcast that I watched in utter disappointment turned this into a racial thing. Which in my book was upsetting. I wasn't voting black vs white, but I wonder if a good majority of people were. Either way, this would have been a historical election, first woman VP or black P. I just hate how the nation is using the racial card as a big deal. So what the guy is black... Get over it!:soapbox::waiting:

It IS a big deal...a huge deal actually. For the first time in our nations history racism means nothing...we officially past that stage in our nations life. The fact that a minority could win the presidency is amazing and historical event for our country. I am confused as to how someone can not understand that a black man becoming president is historical. Heck, the first black millionare was 'historical'...give the guy some well deserved credit.

And just to clear things up...NO ONE I know voted for him b/c of his race. I know some people did, but a lot didn't. What do you mean you know nothing about him? Did you watch his and McCains debates? I wonder how you could have voted for McCain if you knew nothing about his running mate :er:. Obama's election marks a new start for our country.

Hopefully everyone can give him a chance to prove himself. It has been said the he has bi-partisan support, so lets just see what he can do to change our country for the better. If you don't like what he does...vote for someone else next election.

Last edited:
In reply to Meg - I'll have to tread carefully here. I think that it's not so much that it was a black v white issue, but that being black did not prevent him from being elected President.

Best,
Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back