To people who sometimes do zoo photography

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What kind of lenses/lens do you bring? I think it might be kinda awkward to bring a canon L lens (big distraction) to a zoo. Maybe a 75-300 since its pretty small compared to L zoom lenses...

I would bring your big one, everyone will move out of your way and youll get some good shots.

I shoot with either my Canon XTi, and bring my XT for back up. ON the XTI, I keep my Sigma 170-500, and on my XT I use a Canon 70-300. Never use flash. I see photographers there with lenses that make me want to pack up my gear and sell it on ebay. :lol::lol:

I generally take 2 cameras, my D300 with my 70-200 f/2.8 VR on it. I also take my D40 with a circular polarizer on the 18-55 kit lens. In my bag I carry my 105 VR f/2.8 macro, a 50mm f/1.8 and a TC-17 teleconverter for the 70-200. My wife shoots a D80 with an 18-200 VR exclusively.

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, depending on the zoo (or how tired I am) I will just slap the el-cheapo 55-200 VR on my D300, and carry the D40 with the 18-55. I will often do this for small zoos that don't have any "inside" buildings.

I generally also pack in the bag a small point & shoot (nowdays I am packing a Kodak Z712IS) because the tiny lenses get can be shot through some caging better.

I did a walk around a couple of weeks ago with nothing but the Z712IS at the Kansas City Zoo... here are a few of the shots from that day, certainly nothing very spectatular but some of them are not entirely horrible.

Kodak Z712IS Zoo Pictures

Last edited:
Why would you want to be discrete at a zoo? I'd bring whatever lens you have that will best get the shots that you want.

I think so too unless it's really crowded or something.

Anyway i guess most of the shots I've taken at zoos were or should have been 200mm and over.

The terrariums and aquarium under walks I guess 30~100mm or somewhere there abouts.

The petting zoo section I guess much wider. 12~80 somewhere?

Last edited:
I normally take my 300mm F2.8, 70-200 2.8, 1.4x, 2x, 12mm extension tube and my 25mm extension tube

Because Im a retard, I even take a bean bag, with me to rest the lens on a fence, when my monopod is not there. Makes it more convenient, when Im doing a one handed hand stand...:lol::lol::lol::lol:...to get the animals attention.

well I just said that because I'm used to the zoo being very crowded and its almost impossible to get to the front. The other reason is because the animals could be far away resting, so a big telephoto lens may be needed. whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm not sure if you're going to the San Diego zoo, but I went once it is very crowded and a little distraction to get to the front may be worthwile.

well I just said that because I'm used to the zoo being very crowded and its almost impossible to get to the front. The other reason is because the animals could be far away resting, so a big telephoto lens may be needed. whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm not sure if you're going to the San Diego zoo, but I went once it is very crowded and a little distraction to get to the front may be worthwile.
Try and get there early, and maybe not when the full sun is out. I have found that the animals are more active on cooler days. Also when there are a lot of people there, the sounds tend to move the animals to the rear of their pens. Im at the zoo by 9am, and gone by 11 am.

The zoos I go to are usually just about deserted on weekdays especially during winter season (when all the animals are awake and active hint hint). The San Diego zoo used to be like that 40/50 years ago. These days I don't know.

BTW, the "San Diego Wild Animal Park" might be better than the actual zoo.

thanks for all the input
Another thing...sorry... Check when the feeding time is or if the zoo keeper will be present for any question periods. Here they sometimes bring the animals out by tossing some food in, and they can get close to shoot areas.
Pretty cool to capture. :thumbup::thumbup:

BTW, the "San Diego Wild Animal Park" might be better than the actual zoo.
I didn't make it to the zoo but I did visit the "Wild Animal Park' last year. It was fairly crowded but still a pretty good experience.

Take your biggest and best lens - I take my 70-200mm IS f2.8 (or at least I would if I could get to a zoo!) along with my TCs (1.4 and 2) as sometimes animals will hide at the back of an enclosure - so you want to take as much reach as you can, whilst also being ready for closer encounters.
Take a tripod and people will clear the way for you - seriously they do! It also helps take the weight of the lens - a tip sometimes is to pick a good spot and just watch on animal for ages, they might never do anything - or they might do something fantastic!

Also take some glass wipes - the glass screens always have kiddy fingerprints!

Went to Whipsnade early this year just with my 70-300mm sigma and a tripod - and the lenses I saw - huge white ones there was - and many of them --- some black ones too which means the odd nikonion was about!
(well they had just opened a new cheetah enclosure - open special for members only, so I think all the photo lots who have memebership had headed out!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back