To tripod or not to tripod...

How often do you use a tripod?

• Total voters
I prefer handheld unless my meter tells me I'm stupid to even try it. :p Although I have a pretty steady hand, I have no particular problem setting up.

The only time I really get annoyed with it is when hiking or backpacking with the thing - but again, it's my fault for being too cheap to get a lightweight one for those occasions. :crazy:

The question popped into my head primarily because of landscape photography. I shoot a lot of landscape stuff, and have never used a tripod (yes I own one, though). In bright light my shutter's running at 1/1600s or so, so there's no camera shake, even with a polarizer. I can't figure the advantage of a tripod then, I guess. :|

For portrait stuff, I can see the need much more, but the couple times I've tried to do portraits with a tripod, I've ended up lasting about 3 minutes before yanking the camera off in a huff and throwing the tripod out the door. Even with lower lighting and the need for longer exposures, I couldn't stand the thing always in my way and restricting me.

I'd really like to make better use of my tripod, but I just haven't figured out how I guess. :scratch:

I used a tripod for the shot of the hard drive I have in my sig. Then again the set up was also extremely low lighting. I had exactly one 25 watt blue bulb for the blue ambient light on. I think it was a 3 or 4 second shutter speed or something really long like that. I have loved playing with long exposures that the tripod will allow you to do but other than that... I don't see a need for them.

for most of the 'work' I do out in the streets a tripod is USELESS,
it would be too hindering - I need to be quick, so I never carry one.

In the studio, for product stuff I ALWAYS use a tripod, self-timer
and mirror lock-up (can't be paranoid enough) :roll:

doxx said:
for most of the 'work' I do out in the streets a tripod is USELESS,
it would be too hindering - I need to be quick, so I never carry one.

In the studio, for product stuff I ALWAYS use a tripod, self-timer
and mirror lock-up (can't be paranoid enough) :roll:
Yeah. A time and place for everything.

Fast shutter speeds can't completely eliminate blur from camera shake, so if you are shooting for clients or want to make big enlargements, it's worth it if doing anything where the subject is stationary.

I have a really nice tripod that I use very infrequently. Great to have but I usually just make do since I can't bring myself to lug it around. When I do need one, I keep a small table top tripod in my camera bag or find a railing, trash can, or anything flat to set the camera on. Cable release and a small bean bag are ALWAYS packed in the camera bag as well.

No one has mentioned that a tripod will quite often help with composition. By this I mean that the time it takes to set up and then fine tune the tripod will cause you to think more about composition.

When I shoot hand held, I usually compose the shot by what I fit into the viewfinder and hope I get the overall composition I was looking for...

When I use the tripod, I find that I am much more aware of the edges of the frame (in the viewfinder anyway).

Big Mike said:
No one has mentioned that a tripod will quite often help with composition. By this I mean that the time it takes to set up and then fine tune the tripod will cause you to think more about composition.

When I shoot hand held, I usually compose the shot by what I fit into the viewfinder and hope I get the overall composition I was looking for...

When I use the tripod, I find that I am much more aware of the edges of the frame (in the viewfinder anyway).

Excellent and thought provoking. You are very right. I had not thought of that aspect of it.

I would say I use the ol' tripod about 30% of the time.

Also while a tripod helps, its no magic bullet for always getting super crisp shots, i've had several shots that have come too blurry because:

1. It was at night, and I couldn't see my target well enough to focus properly
2. Tripod shake from wind, drunk folks, accidental jarring of cameras and lowing flying seagulls (damn birds)
3. False sense of security thinking that really long time exposures = super sharp pics = though your camera may be nice n' steady your subject may move ever so slightly - just enough to annoy you!!!

But still, the benefits outweigh the negatives, if i am on a photo expedition its coming with me - i love my tripod! :love:

Most reactions

Back