To Watermark, or not to watermark...

RER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All, very new here, and quite the newb to photography in general.

I'm definitely going to be brushing up on my aperture, exposure, etc. knowledge here.

I was just wondering how you guys felt about watermarking your work? The idea that someone might want to use my pictures bothers me, but, I want to share them, because I think they're beautiful... So, I watermark them... Sometimes, I feel a little ridiculous doing it, I feel like people will think that I'm acting all high and mighty about my average pictures... Also, I'm well aware that with programs like photoshop, any watermarks can more than likely be easily removed, but, I'm curious as to your opinions.

:)

I use a small watermark with my signature and website mostly just to lead people back to my site. No need to put some huge ugly watermark across the middle of your photo that I see so many people doing

Reactions: RER
I treat it like a bike lock. Not even remotely fool-proof, but one more layer of stuff that would allow me to prove ownership and make my photo a less likely target. Nothing high-and-mighty about it.

I'm not a professional - and used to put an italic script of my name in the lower right.
Then I switched it for see through plain text of my name with a © symbol.
Now I use none. I'm not pro, I don't care about where my images end up so long as I don't see them credited to anybody else, and I think my images look stronger for it.

If pro, totally add one. If not, I wouldn't bother.

I actually use a big ugly logo that one of my FB fans designed for me. I have caught some flack for it, but I did have several images stolen and my simple watermark cropped off last year. But I have many people that follow me and my images are out there all the time. I do sell my images also. As a noob, you probably don't have to worry about it too much. More importantly I never upload anything wider than 1600 pixels wide so people can still steal them, but can't make any high resolution prints without a bunch of work in photo shop...
This was my old watermark.. very easy to crop off..
Juvenile Osprey Dive 3 8_26 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr
My new one is easy enough to clone off, but people can't crop it as easily.
Osprey 6_23 1 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

I put a watermark slap bang dead centre.
I take sports photos of locals and despite having VERY affordable prices, most people just take a screenshot of themselves and show them off to each other and on social media. They only have access to low res images but as a matter of principle, if they are just going to take them, then they can also advertise where they got it from. It also means that I know they did not get a photo by contacting me. There is even one class/group of photos that I say are free and just email me and I will send them a watermark free copy (and I only send these photos to the actual subject in the image - or their parents)
So I think it depends on your images, your purpose and your audience.
Different situations ... different solutions.

I dont put watermarks, but then again I dont try to sell my photography.

I use a watermark--not so much to *prevent* theft, as to *promote* honesty.
My boys' scoutmaster used to require all scouts to have locks on their storage trunks for summer camp. His explanation was that it wasn't to prevent theft, as anyone could pop the lock if they were determined to steal something. It was "to keep honest scouts honest."

If someone wants to steal a photo I've uploaded, they are going to do it and my watermark isn't going to stop them. But, if someone WANTS to share a photo and give me credit, and then someone else shares that, and it doesn't have my name on it, it becomes harder and harder to give credit even if they want to, when there is no name on the photo.

Also, like Kris (coastalconn) above, the bigger thing in terms of preventing theft, is that I don't upload large files or high-resolution images. Except in some very, very rare instances, I don't upload anything larger than 1000-1200px on the long side, and 72dpi resolution. It's all you really need for online viewing, and it would at least make large prints kinda crappy looking.

I don't use a watermark and haven't for some time. But I don't sell my photos. Other than a few jobs here and there, this is a form of addiction, er, uh, relaxation for me. Not a job, not a source of income.

That said...

If you get paid for this work, you should put a watermark on it. Partially to protect your work but also for marketing purposes. Think of it this way--if you had a business, would you have a business card? For photographers who try to make money doing this stuff, your photos are your business card. Your photo work is mostly how people will judge you and consider hiring you (that along with rep and references of people they know/trust).

I'm pretty new to photography. Been doing it for a few weeks but I have gotten great shots. I would like to do a watermark but I'm not sure how to do it.

Nevermind about what I said. As soon as I posted it, I looked down and saw that forum post. My bad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back