Too many photographers?

I think the more consumers that are doing an activity, the more the companies that create products for it are inclined to lower prices and be increasingly innovative. In that respect, it's beneficial to all of us. It also gives you a reason to be more creative and try to differentiate yourself from the masses.

I also remember reading somewhere that using pictures of animals taken at the zoo is a good way to break into stock photography, and that could have something to do with the large numbers of photographers. I wonder if they realize that it's pretty much a joke.

Seeing that your from Minnesota, you really should be able to escape the zoo and find some cool stuff if it really bugs you. The north shore is amazing and I highly recommend going up there for both wildlife and landscape photography.

I am from Minnesota, but I am working in St Louis right now. I travel for my work, which I like because I have a chance to take photos all around the US.

After reading all of your posts it has definatly made me see things differently. I guess I was just getting a little jealous of all the photographers in the zoo. When working I see some nice shots I would like to take, but I cant carry my camera while working, and then someone else walks up and starts shooting.

I have a project under submission to the Arts Council to train the great apes and other suitable animals in captivity to use cameras and give Joe Public a taste of his own medicine.
I think the resulting pictures could be rather interesting...

If that's not a tongue in cheek reply - that is damn cool. If this ever happens in London PLEASE let me get involved!

I really dont think people think every photographer with a nice camera is a child molester...i mean if your hiding in the back of a van with tinted windows, outside a play ground, then yea. people are going to get curious.
And i my oppinion, i dont like shooting around people atall. but then again, walking into the forest beats out a zoo anytime.

I really dont think people think every photographer with a nice camera is a child molester...i mean if your hiding in the back of a van with tinted windows, outside a play ground, then yea. people are going to get curious.
And i my oppinion, i dont like shooting around people atall. but then again, walking into the forest beats out a zoo anytime.

Maybe i should sell the van.. :bigangel:

... my problem is it's pretty far to get to a forest living in L.A. I mean a real forest..

its totally funny cause i am new to photography and I just went to the zoo and i was so shocked how many people were there with giant cameras. I took a few photos of animals and quickly got bored....caged animals arent fun to shoot. Its like taking photos of someone watching tv. not that interesting.

I am from Minnesota, but I am working in St Louis right now. I travel for my work, which I like because I have a chance to take photos all around the US.

After reading all of your posts it has definatly made me see things differently. I guess I was just getting a little jealous of all the photographers in the zoo. When working I see some nice shots I would like to take, but I cant carry my camera while working, and then someone else walks up and starts shooting.

But at least the zoo here in St. Louis is free so it a popular place to shoot. You could go back to the zoo when you are not working, but I know most people don't want to go back to work just for fun.

If you want to get out and shoot some wildlife and nature, there are many places close that you can shoot. Hell 2 coyotes walk through my parents back yard at least twice a week(that we see). And thats not out in the stick somewhere; its in the heart of the suburbs.

It is true that you see more and more photographers (hobbyists) with
expensive and heavy gear these days. Some of these just like the toys, like playing with fancy gear, others are really into photography, and some both.

But so what? If people can afford it, so be it. To some extend it is a hype of course, and some of these people will realise they will not enjoy this for their whole life, and they will quit, others will make this the love of their life.

My guess would be, that during the next decade at some point the number of high-end SLR-shooters will decrease a bit again. Especially once small P&S cameras get better and give more options and possibilities for the occasional creativity of the standard holiday or party shooter.
People will just take a step back for reasons of size and convenience.

Today, many people believe you can only take decent images, if you at least own a dSLR, but this is certainly not true. Also, it has become a status symbol, but any recession will like push those people first to quit.

I noticed this as well last time I was at the zoo. I rarely had a problem except with one guy who brought his tri-pod :roll and would set up shop right in front of the animal blocking almost all angkes but his own.

Atleast 3 occasions i would hear "we need a camera like his so we can take some good pictures"

I think this goes along with the SLR hype and what Alex was saying, the craze will die and people will realize they can get great family photos with P&S's

I have had lots of experience shooting in a crowd of strictly pros, or of all amateurs and don't even think about it anymore. I just concentrate on getting the shot I want.

skieur

I understand that a zoo is an obvious hotspot for photographers because you can get close to wild animals and get some good pictures of them. Or maybe it is just because I dont like seeing the animals stuck in their cages.

Zoo photography is one of my projects, but I don't do it to take pictures of the "wild animals".

First and foremost, zoo animals are NOT wild animals, it is important to understand that. Virtually none of the animals in American zoos have ever lived in the wild, and with obvious exceptions many could not live in the wild because they have been domesticated.

Zoos are great places, but I think a lot of people miss WHY they are great places. Zoos are today's Noah's Ark. They are the only chance that many of the species that are held in captivity will have of surviving long enough until mankind develops enough brains to figure out we don't really need to be wiping out most of the species on the earth.

Zoos maintain genetic diversity that can be back-bred into the wild population. Zoos are an opportunity to showcase the vast and amazing diversity of life on our planet to a bunch of people who otherwise would never be exposed to it. As the legendary Senegalese Conservationist Baba Dioum famously said, “In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Zoos are a way we teach.

That is why I do my zoopictures project... not as a way to take "cool picutres of wild animals", because they simply are not wild. I don't just take pictures of the animals either, I also take pictures of the displays that they are in, both good and bad... I don't try to hide the caging, because that is a part of the whole story.

monkey.jpg

If I were in your shoes, and I felt the way you feel... with the press against your heart about the caging and captivity of the animals, the bewilderment about the big lenses and all the other visitors... I would take that emotion and take a camera out and try to capture what I was feeling through my lens. If that means going counter culture to do it, then perhaps I would grab a $4 35mm point and shoot and then have the negatives digitized (including a self portrait of yourself at the zoo with the camera via reflection or whatever). If you have feelings about something involving your camera, isn't that the time you WANT to be shooting pictures... that way you can have not only something to show, but something to say.

Thanks Sabbath999. I really like your idea of emphasising that the animals are in the cages, instead of trying to hide it. I was working on a project with the trees in the zoo, and when I got a chance to bring my camera along I decided to use the trees as a subject along with the animals. Here is an example

2223063875_bb56aff43a.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back