TORN between LENSES! Need advice

rein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so i got some money to spare maybe about $700

i shoot nature, shot some soccer games, shoot some cars. and i also want to get into macro photography.

I DONT SHOOT WEDDINGS, i dont think i will

I am trying to sell my prints online, This is mainly a hobby of mine, but if a can earn a lil cash here and there why not right??

So i Need Help decideing which one to Get, My current gear is listed in my SIG

1. 70-200 f4L ?
2. 100 mm f 2.8 macro?
3 a wide angle lense? (i havent decided which one yet any advice?)

Thanks you!

Given the 3 that you list, I guess I would lean towards the 70-200. It will be useful for cars, sports and nature. It won't do you much good for macro, but you won't get everything from one lens.

The other option is to look at the used and/or 3rd party markets. For example, there is this Sigma Macro:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-200mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001046ES2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265734807&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Thats intersting. its 2.8 and its macro? I will take a look at it!

i heard the 10-20 sigma is awsome

Thats intersting. its 2.8 and its macro? I will take a look at it!

i heard the 10-20 sigma is awsome

Well, it's not a true 1:1 macro, but it does have close focus. I don't have any experience with the lens, but I have Sigmas which I love (50-150 f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4, 10-20mm f 4-5.6). One thing I see that it is not in Sigma's EX series (their higher end). You should see if you could get your hands on one locally and try it before you pull the trigger. Sigma has had QC issues in the past, and you want to make sure you get a good one.

anyone else?

Rein, this is going to be a hard question for anyone to answer, as you're really trying to compare apples to oranges. I would personally spend a little time trying to figure out what kind of photography you're really interested in and go from there. Out of the three, I'd personally go with the wide, but only because I have a nice zoom already and I'm moving more toward landscape and still life. Out of any lens, I'd go with a nice 24/1.4 or 50/1.4, but then again, that's just me.

True. Im gonna Pick up THe photog market book later, and see from there! Thanks

Yes .. this is a tough question since the listed lenses are for different thing.

Nobody know better than yourself on what you want to do. :)

I was lucky when I started since I had enough budget to go for both a macro lens and a 70-200mm range lens and I have to agree with the others - they are very different things when it comes to use.

If I want to take a macro shot the macro lens is always the first choice whilst if I want to take a shotof something moving fast its the 70-200mm every time - the macro lenses do not have fast AF (AF is almost unused in macro photography).

This is a choice you really have to make - do you want macro shots or something with a bit more range and speed?

If you go down the 70-200mm route I would say also get a Raynox DCR 250 - that is a macro diopter and it should easily fit to your current 50mm and otherl enses without needing to get a stepping ring. Its a highquality diopter and yet is not that expensive and it will let you have a play with some macro work on your other lenses. Further when you do manage to get the dedicated macro lens you can stick the DCR 250 onto that and have some extra magnfication fun

Check for used EF 100 f/2.8 TRUE macro. Since the L version has come out, you should be able to find used copies pretty reasonable.
As mentioned, lens manufacturers can put the word Macro on anything but instead of true 1:1 (like the EF 100) it will probably be no better than 1:4 or 1:3.5.

Just my opinion but I'd go with either the 100mm or the 70-200. A wider lens might be better but at least you have the 17-55 which I think is pretty wide even on a crop sensor.

The 100mm will give great macro shots while the 70-200 won't (at least not as good). So it comes down to whether you like shooting macro or if you want the extra range the 70-200 gives you. What if you don't like macro? Why don't you rent the 100mm and see if you like it?

I personally have been drooling over the 100mm macro for a while but I'm saving for the 17-50mm first. I'm conspiring to steal Bitter Jeweler's copy, though. >:D

Thanks for the replies. I think I've come to a decision. Right now I can afford the macro lens. So iwill get that. And then save up for a 70-200 f 2.8 instead. Ill just rent it if I need it. Good idea?

Sounds like a good plan :)
And since you have flashes already you are well equiped to light your macro shots as well ( might I recomend using a lumiquest softbox for the flash diffusion)

70-200 and an extension tube. They're very cheap and you may need to use manual settings or give up autofocus, but they give excellent results. And you don't need a wide angle, 17 is pretty wide.

I say get the 70 - 200, you'll have more available range.. if your first statement was you wanted to shoot better macro shots.. then i would have recommended to get the macro lens.. as for the wide lens.. i don't use mine much.. but then again i have a full frame and don't shoot buildings or landscapes much.. what kinda of nature are you looking to shoot, birds? waterfalls? insects? flowers?.. that's the more important question.. just by looking at your collection of lenses.. i would say you're lacking the telephoto range.. that would be your next lens a long zoomie.. even more so can i influence you to get the 70-200 2.8 IS.. that's a monster of a lens... well worth the purchase..

Most reactions

Back