TORN between LENSES! Need advice

I too would go for the 70-200 f/4 instead of the macro lens. You could use a Canon 500D 2-element close-up filter [aka close-up 'lens' aka + diopter lens] and get pretty decent close-up shots, and have a lot of versatility.

If you really,really want to have a 100mm macro lens, currently the original Canon 100mm EF macro lens, the non-USM model, is starting to turn up used in brick-and-mortar stores for $225-$269 each, in pretty fair numbers. One local store I check in on weekly just took THREE in this week,and priced them all at $269 each. Why? The new Canon 100mm f/2.8-L with Image Stabilizer; many times people will not upgrade until the *second* generation of new lens hits the market. The original Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens had traditional extension focusing, and got very long at 1:1; the next model was Internal Focus and had the same overall length no matter what the focused distance; the new L-mode is 1) an L and has 2) Image Stabilizer and 3) Internal focusing and 4) the L-family name and build.

So, this is one of those times where you can scout around and find an unusually large number of perfectly good, older Canon 100mm macros on the market, cheaply. The new L-lens has devalued the older model a fair bit.

70-200 and an extension tube. They're very cheap and you may need to use manual settings or give up autofocus, but they give excellent results. And you don't need a wide angle, 17 is pretty wide.

I second this! I use an extension tube with my 70-200mm F/2.8 L and love the results, I even find my self using it on my 50mm 1.4 occasional, cool thing is that you can use the extension tube on more then just one lens and get the macro effect. It's a handy thing to have in your bag and adds additional elements to more of your lenses that you might have gotten board with. I would save the money and for for that 70-200mm range. It's a great money making lens, great for portraits even on a cropped sensor you have some great sweet spots throughout the zoom range. I just think that the 70-200 is way more versatile when considering it or a macro.

Also if your willing to go outside of canon, Sigma makes a nice copy and its a 2.8, 70-200mm with a macro feature for $799.99 and has close to L quality build. Might not be true macro but I have heard awesome things about it for the price and it being 2.8 is great for indoor events such as weddings.
Sigma | 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens | 579-101
Just trying to throw out options...

Most reactions

Back