Trash the Bride

I'll be 100% honest here... I'm not a huge fan of the first shot, it just doesn't do anything for me. But the way the others that you describe are in my mind right now, I love. I'd like to see a few other ideas before you decide to go "back to the drawing board" on the whole idea. It's got major potential. Good Luck!

"Trach the DRESS", yes, thats widely done, and yes, you'd find it doing a google search. Elaspet is talking about something entirely different :)

And you may not make MONEY doing this series obviously, but it's a great personal series, and I think that's the point, right? You arent trying to make this a market, selling item, correct??

I've also seen this done lots before except it was not called trash the bride or trash the dress... it was something like "wedded bliss?" or something like that.
Same idea, where the bride is in her wedding dress but doing all the everyday non-glamorous things, also screaming at the groom, hating the MIL, looking totally worn out with kids surrounding her while she's got a ciggie hanging out of her mouth, popping pills in the afternoon, that sort of thing.

I've also seen this done lots before except it was not called trash the bride or trash the dress... it was something like "wedded bliss?" or something like that.
Same idea, where the bride is in her wedding dress but doing all the everyday non-glamorous things, also screaming at the groom, hating the MIL, looking totally worn out with kids surrounding her while she's got a ciggie hanging out of her mouth, popping pills in the afternoon, that sort of thing.

Really? Send me a link. I'd love to see it!:mrgreen:

And yes, it's basically my own little project. This is not something I'd ever post on my site.

I didn't save links but there are lots of sites out there. as others have said before if you do a google search you will find a tonne of sites.

Hmm. I tried to find them but couldn't. If anyone else has seen one, I'd really appreciate a link.
Thanks!

AHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Condemed for life!

lol jk.

I love this picture!

If you are like me, you are way bored with the trash the dress sessions. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones out there. But it's been done to death already. So one day I got to thinking about the whole wedding thing. I'm amazed at what these people spend. They could buy a house with the money. But actually a lot of them rack up the credit cards.

So I wondered one day, what their life will be after the big fantasy wedding. I lucked out and had a bride play along.

I've done a web search for Trash the Bride and found nothing. Either I'm on to something totally new, or something noone wants. :meh:

Welcome to Trash the Bride. You be the judge.

I think its cool, but it would be a very niche audience...definitely not for everyone (not that anything is). As a total noob who doesn't shoot anything professionally, I was always under the impression that the one unbreakable rule of a wedding was that the bride is to look and be treated like a princess at all times. With the "trash the dress," she can still look like Cinderella (just in water or on the beach). With these, the girl doesn't look like a doll anymore. This would be neat for some open-minded people, but I think you'd find a lot of brides that would say, "I don't want my photo taken looking like that!"

I'm totally naive about this stuff, so my opinions should be taken with about a thousand grains of salt. But I think you'd have a limited audience if you went all the way with this.

Sorry if I upset you. I personally think its really neat. Another neat idea would be if you did one of the groom with an actual ball and chain on his leg (probably been done if I came up with it, though).

Hi Senor,
Not upset at all. It's not really for the bride. It's more like a project.
Thank you though. I respect your opinion.
:)

Hi Senor,
Not upset at all. It's not really for the bride. It's more like a project.
Thank you though. I respect your opinion.
:)

In that case, it would work. I was thinking the people would be putting them in their wedding album, and in my opinion, I didn't see too many girls going for it. Like I said before, a bride's photo album is like her fairy tale. She gets it out, shows it to all of her friends, and they all get jealous of her looking so pretty. I didn't see that fitting in with my image of it.

But as a project, I think its cool... I don't know where you live, but where I am (Arkansas), there are quite a few down-to-Earth farm girls who would find humor in this, without it upsetting their pristine wedding moment.

How about one where the bride is washing something on an old fashioned washing board? I don't know if that would work, but I will give you the idea anyway (I only require 10% of profit...lol jk).

I have seen similar but tnot the same, I have seen pictures where the brides go out in there nice dress and run in to the sea, r mud or similar, but not quite like yours.

even if its an old idea, I like it, and its still creative

I definitely like the idea. I would only suggest if you're going for more of a humor approach than some type of statement... make them so overtop they turn into more of a characture.

Cindy, did you see the photo that this one photog did where he had the groom leaning against a car with the bride's dress half hanging out with a shovel in hand? I thought it was kind of similar to what you have going on here. I'll see if I can find the link....

ETA: His name is John Michael Cooper
http://trashthedress.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/the-godfather-of-trashing-john-michael-cooper-alt-f/

I know a lot of people REALLY didn't like what the images said to them...but isn't that what makes art fun? :)

Hi JJC. Yes, only one of these. The bride was getting ready for the real wedding when I talked her into doing this.

Next in the series is bride with a vaccuum cleaner.

Bride with snotty nosed screaming kids.

Bride with big fat lazy hubby.

And finally bride on pool floaty, surrounded by greek gods in swimsuits. :) That will be the most fun one.

Don't ask me where I get this crazy stuff. I really don't know. But the Trash the Bride session has been in my brain for about a year.

I absolutely love this idea! :lol:

Cindy, did you see the photo that this one photog did where he had the groom leaning against a car with the bride's dress half hanging out with a shovel in hand? I thought it was kind of similar to what you have going on here. I'll see if I can find the link....

ETA: His name is John Michael Cooper
http://trashthedress.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/the-godfather-of-trashing-john-michael-cooper-alt-f/

I know a lot of people REALLY didn't like what the images said to them...but isn't that what makes art fun? :)

Yeah, I love that photo. It's by Alt F aka John. He's hilarious! I'm a huge fan of his work.

Most reactions

Back