Tried to channel my inner Rotanimod with limited results - Waterfall in Maine

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I made a trek 2 hrs today to a secret location of one the bigger Maine waterfalls. Being a crappy light day and dealing with massive spring run off I feel like I had limited success. I had a really hard time dealing with getting the shutter slow enough without blowing out the highlights or losing the darks. Any ideas for improvements?

#1 Up above looking down

FAB_2515 by runnah555, on Flickr

#2 The only place I could find near water level. I got drenched and the camera had a nice bath. Super sketchy being so close. I need to wait for less water and I should be able to get a better angle.

FAB_2503 by runnah555, on Flickr

#3 Not slow shutter but I was having a hard time getting everything to be lit.

FAB_2528 by runnah555, on Flickr

#4 Trees

FAB_2535 by runnah555, on Flickr

#5 another massive falls.

FAB_2544 by runnah555, on Flickr

#6 risked my life for this one.

FAB_2570 by runnah555, on Flickr

The first and the last one is amazing!!! Not a lot of knowledge to critique them. Not sure I would want to, they all came out awesome. 1st and Last one would be on my walls though.

Like the last post best. Sans the broken tree. I think the first few would have been better with a diferent POV. All still better than my best. Ed

Like the last post best. Sans the broken tree. I think the first few would have been better with a diferent POV. All still better than my best. Ed

Thanks. The big falls have very limited access. I want to go back when the water level is much lower.

Pretty nice set, esp. #5 and the last one. Did you use a tripod?

Edit, looks like it as your shutter speed was quite low. Unless you're a super-steady hand-holder. Do you have any ND filters?

Pretty nice set, esp. #5 and the last one. Did you use a tripod?

Edit, looks like it as your shutter speed was quite low. Unless you're a super-steady hand-holder. Do you have any ND filters?

Yup tripod. No filters, I wish I did for water stuff. Maybe even a polarizer.

Nice! 1-4 are ok shots but a near miss imo, but I don't understand why. 5-7 on the other hand are spectacular, I love those shots. Looks pretty hairy at times too, well done

I like the 35mm shot as it gives more drama to the water...... Love the moss. Cover up it will be black fly season before too long.

Yeah I like that the best if em all. I'll get the main falls with the 35 later in the summer.

Number 5 is my favorite, very peaceful IMO, the types of shots I aim to get in my own work. nice job!

Are these HDR?
They have a look of a subtle HDR, so if they are... well done
...and if they aren't, still well done.

The color cast in all of these look a little off to me... unless the water was sorta brown? Not what I expected from my source of Poland Springs water.

Rob - I was a little heavy with the clarity slider on a few to bring out some of the darker bits.

Manny - water was brown, still lots is melted snow coming off the mountains.

Ok, that's it. Maine is filth.

:)

Most reactions

Back