Tripod for my needs? Another one :P

SveM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, my name is Sven and I'm new here.
I recently bought a new camera, it's my first DSLR. We chose a D3100. We bought a nice long Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD for everything really, it's really universal IMO. Then we got a Metz 50 AF-1 for better lighting and bigger rooms etc. And we asked for advice from a very experienced local photographer. I also have a Velbon CX-300, which we used with a small video camera. Well I think it's time for a new tripod, since it's really bad for the new camera. I really like my setup right now, the D3100 is really basic, but it does the job, I think it's more about the photographer. Anyway.

I'm 190 cm tall, so it's difficult to find a high tripod without extending the center column. I think it's important that it's stable at my height, I don't want to f*** up my back :D
I want it to have quick release plate and portrait mode.
Also, since I plan on getting a macro lens soon (Tamron 90mm) then it would be nice to go quite low too.
My setup weights ~1.5 kg right now, and won't go much higher probable, at least without a new body.

So, I found the Velbon Sherpa 600R. But I'm afraid that it's not stable enough. I asked about it from a local site too, they recommended me the Manfrotto 055 XPROB legs. How good are those legs or the 600R? And what head would you recommend for the Manfrotto. I don't want to spend €115 on the Velbon if it isn't stable. I also don't have like 300 to spend on the Manfrotto or something else :p But still, recommend me something good.

Okay, since nobody is answering, give me your opinions about the Manfrotto legs with the Manfrotto 488 RC2 head or any other good head.
Would the Sherpa 600R also be stable and long enough for a 190 cm guy and 1,5kg equipment?

Most reactions

Back