Tripod head and legs... What do you use?

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying their day and may it be filled with perfectly diffused light! Lol anyway I'm looking to acquire a tripod and since I haven't owned one yet I'm unsure of which to get and what to watch out for. I need something strong enough to support a 5d/70-200/flash but versatile enough to mobilize quickly. I was looking at the sunpak pistol grip head and possibly the smith victor carbon fiber legs. What are you currently using? What do you like/dislike about it or past tripods? All feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Sorry to say, yet i have not used any kind of Tripod. I am also looking for some feedback and best reviews on it.

Thank you

I have a bunch of tripods. Some are just old pieces of junk that I acquired over the years, but the ones I use are all Manfrotto.

Have you seen or used a pistol grip head before? They are great for quick adjustment but they aren't as stable as a simple ball head or 3-way...especially if you want to turn the camera to a vertical orientation, because the height of the pistol grip head puts the camera a good distance out from the centre of gravity. Would be better if you added an L-bracket.
I had a look at the Sunpak heads...and I get the impression that they are pretty cheap. Trust me, you don't want to cheap out on the tripod head.

Carbon fiber legs are great because they work well and they are much lighter than other materials, but the head is probably a lot more important for most people. If budget is a factor, I'd save money on the legs by going with aluminum and then looking for a good head. Although, if weight is priority, it's hard to beat C.F.

Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> Home
Acratech, Inc :: Ballheads & Tripod Accessories
Really Right Stuff -
Heads - Photo | Gitzo

I've looked around alot this past year for tripods and when you mention Sunpak I think a normal store like Target / Meijers / Walmart. Try a camera store and you may find a plethora of sturdier tripods.

It's true that Meijers etc sells Manfrotto etc but those seem to be a far cry from the products that a real camera store sells.

I settled on SLIK products as I've gotten great deals on them. Though seeing the other products at a camera store I find other brands are very sturdy too. The key is I found the Target etc brands to be priced kinda high when one can get alot better pro level tripod online or a good deal at a camera store.

I love my SLIK 500DX AMT with 320 DK head. Both light and stable and quick to open and close up. It has that Alloy legs for lightness and was cheap on evilBay.

It may not be as well known as Manfrotto, Gitzo, or RRS, but I have been using Sirui for a few years, and I have been very pleased with the performance. It was my first tripod and head purchase, so I was looking for decent quality at modest budget pricing. The Sirui fit both of those specifications well.

Sirui uses an Arca-style plate and QR system on the head. I picked up the G-20 and it has no problem holding what I have put on it. It pans, and tilts smoothly and easily.

The legs I have are the TX-1005. They fold down very compact and are very light weight. It has an extendable center column, that also removes and can be replaced by the short center column for taking pictures while the camera hangs under the tripod. The extendable center column also has a sandbag hook on the bottom for adding additional stability. The only downside is the legs use a twist-style lock mechanism, that feels like it would be easy to over-torque and possibly strip out the threads. That has not happened, it just feels like it could.

Sirui G-20X Ball Head G-20KX B&H Photo Video

Sirui T-1005X 5-Section Aluminum Tripod BSRT1005 B&H Photo Video

Hi guys, sort of related question, do all manufacturers use the same attachment method for tripod to head?

Hi guys, sort of related question, do all manufacturers use the same attachment method for tripod to head?

I believe that most thread pitches are universally alike. 3/8th or something like that.

I use a RRS BH55 with some older Gitzo carbon legs. I love the setup, I couldn't have asked for a better rig for what I like to do.

Sent from my iPhone

Or maybes it's 1/4... Idk

I used a Bogen (don't recall what model, 3021 comes to mind) with a three-way head and quick release plate in the 80's & 90's, sadly someone needed it more than I did and liberated it from my truck. These days it's a Manfrotto MT294A3 with an 804RC2 three-way head. One thing I always look at when assessing a tripod is the height, I prefer it to be tall enough that the view finder is close to eye level without extending the center column, especially when heavier cameras, lenses and other gear are in use. Carbon fiber is some very cool stuff, it's weight to strength ratio is incredible... for me the the savings in weight (over aluminum) to cost ratio has never been worth it, again that's just me.

What do I like about this tripod... camera mounted (D7000 gripped), legs fully extended, center column down. I can comfortably look through the view finder without bending or stooping (I'm 6' 3"). The center column can also be inverted for mounting the camera upside down, the legs can be set wider allowing greater stability, the wider stance used in combination with reversing the center column the camera can be placed nearly on the ground.

Can't think of anything I don't like about this rig.

Be well,

Anthony

As far as I'm aware, all tripod mounts should be universal. I have a cheaper tripod, and it fits everything-even our Kodak Juniors and Vest Pockets from the 1920s.

Or maybes it's 1/4... Idk

I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they're the same:)

I've got an old manfrotto tripod, it's heavy so I was looking at getting some new carbon legs and use my rc190(?) head until I can afford something new.

Tripod leg set to tripod thread head attaching uses a 3/8 thread. The head-to-camera-tripod socket uses a 1/4 " x 20 National Coarse thread.

I have a couple Manfrotto tripods, the 3040 and the 3051 (old Bogen-era names), and a new 3-section Adorama Flashpoint carbon fiber tripod. I currently use a very large, Gitzo magnesium ball head which has no quick-release plate, but just threads right in with a round platform that has the tripod thread on it and a cork-covered base.

One thing I would like to throw out about tripod selection is (if the funds are available) don’t buy the tripod you need today; get the one you’ll need five years from now. It will fit your current camera, and you’ll save money in the long run if/when you upgrade

Most reactions

New Topics

Back