Tripod help

phil-ray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
can any one tell me what tripod this is? or where can i get something more like this? got a tripod my self but need something that goes lower and is still very stable

MK4Build196.jpg

It is a Bogen or Manfrotto (same stuff just the U.S. and Euro brand names for it) but i can't tell you which model. The Gitzo tripods are famous for getting down and dirty.

cheers for that, ill have to start serching on line for whats what with them tripods, tho just a quick search and the price range means it will be all my crimbo money away with it lol

Normally legs and heads are sold separately so that the photographer can customize the setup to his needs or preferences.

Nice call on that tripod. I recognized it immediately as the silver version of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I52Z/ref=wl_it_dp/102-8138705-8708123?ie=UTF8&coliid=I11TLDZJ6S3KY8&colid=11KN28UAIAG9C"]tripod [/ame]from my amazon.com wishlist.... Any other tripod and I'd have not had a clue... :)

Any chance anyone can identify the head?

the heads obscured so i cant tell but any recommendations for heads? at a reasonable price
This is off topic from the original question, but I would love to hear the answer to that question as well.

The folks over at Nikonians.com highly recommend the Markins ball heads. Those range $400 (or so). Now, I am sure they are great. But I'd love to know what good choices are in the $250, or $200, or $150, etc, price ranges...

The head in this shot is obscured, but I believe it is a ball head. I have a Bogen Pistol grip ball head, with the 3021 legs, and to be honest, it sucks. I liked it at first, but after 2 years of use, it's plain worn out, and will not hold the weight of my camera, even with just a 50mm lens.

I have a set of Manfrotto Professional 190 legs...and I use a cheap ball head from Cammeron (got it at a local shop for $35)...it works just fine for me...but I don't have any heavy telephoto lenses. Just make sure you get a head that is rated for the weight that you plan to put on it.

I really like the feel of the pistol grip ball heads...but they are more expensive. 3-way and pan/tilt heads are good...if you like to make small adjustments...but ball heads are good for quickly changing your point of view.

What ever you get...get one with a Quick Release plate. It's a pain to use a tripod without one.

I like ball heads and have a couple from Bogen. One is a pistol grip operated model on my small tripod and the other is a lever operated model on the heavy tripod. I think Arca Swiss are probably the ultimate. Spending that kind of money on a tripod head simply doesn't make sense to me, however.

There are some things that ball heads don't do well. One of them is to pan. That's why you don't see ball heads on video setups. Panning may not be important unless you like stitching panoramas together with Photoshop. Ball heads are certainly fast and convenient.

In the studio I always preferred the pan/tilt type heads. They were more precise and easier to make small adjustments to. Outdoors, I'll take a ball head. Indoors, I like the pan/tilt type.

I second Mike's comment about the quick release plate. I view it as a necessity. I've even been known to carry extra ones around. I'm almost certain every Bogen/Manfrotto head has a quick release plate.

I second Mike's comment about the quick release plate. I view it as a necessity. I've even been known to carry extra ones around.
I have at least two plates for each of my tripods. Some times I put a plate on different cameras...or one onto my video camera...or keep it around...just in case.

Benbo also makes a low profile tripod that seems pretty nice. A bit heavy from what I have read. The tripod in the photo looks like it has a bogen ballhead. You can see the lever for the quick release and the six sided base plate.

Digital Matt,

I am curious, which grip ball head did you have. I am using the 322RC2 side grip and have had no problems. Love it as it is low profile and easily handles my biggest lens. I have a [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Novoflex Universal Panorama Plate[/FONT] under it for panning

My guess on the one pictured is that it is an Bogen 488 head of some kind. Seems to be about the right size at the base and that looks like the pan release lever sticking out. Just a guess though. The 3021 and 488RC2 combo is one of the most popular I have ever encountered.

Most reactions

Back