Tripod recommendations

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a new tripod, as mine has err... become a bi-pod.

I use a consumer level DSLR and plan on staying there, with no crazy lenses.

Lightweight is important.

Price is important.

Check out your local Craig's List or similar 'site for used ones. Manfrotto, Gitzo and Benbo are all good names. There are lots of decent units out there, but since you don't benchmark 'important' with a dollar value, it's hard to really offer much more advice.

I just bought a Vanguard Espod CX203AP. I got this on sale for $60cdn. it has a quick shoe, tilt and rotation. and its rated to hold 7.7lbs

I will pay for quality, but $100 is my cap area.

Your cap is pretty much at the bottom end of where you're going to be able to get a decent used tripod & head. Bear in mind that the rule of thumb for load-limiting is 1/2 the manufacturer's maximum rating. In other words, if the rated maximum is 8 lbs, then you should put no more than 4 on it.

I will pay for quality, but $100 is my cap area.

You can pick up a decent Mnafrotto tripod off Ebay for $100. It want be their top of the line but it should work well with a light weight consumer body.

While maybe just a little over your budget, you can take a look at the Mefoto BackPacker tripod.

I have the next model, the RoadTrip, and it's been an amazing tripod as it's very light, surprinsgly sturdy, and it gets very small once folded. The RoadTrip has one detachable leg that can be used as a monopod. If you're in Canada, Vistek has them for sale right now for 139$ here : Mefoto RoadTrip. I paid about 200$ for it last summer.

Just my 0.02$

I think most would say that Manfrodo is the go to, awesome tripod to buy. I purchased a pro master tripod last year and it has been awesome. The one thing I was looking for, and found, in my tripod is the ability to take one leg off and have an mono pod. Actually use the monopod more than the tripod so I would definitely get one that has both

While maybe just a little over your budget, you can take a look at the Mefoto BackPacker tripod.

I have the next model, the RoadTrip, and it's been an amazing tripod as it's very light, surprinsgly sturdy, and it gets very small once folded. The RoadTrip has one detachable leg that can be used as a monopod. If you're in Canada, Vistek has them for sale right now for 139$ here : Mefoto RoadTrip. I paid about 200$ for it last summer.

Just my 0.02$
I like the looks of that tripod. How do you like the screw legs? I have heard they aren't as good, but have no experience with them.

Just my 0.02$
I like the looks of that tripod. How do you like the screw legs? I have heard they aren't as good, but have no experience with them.
I don't think it's a matter of not being "as good" in terms of stability, just that the screw legs can really be a PITA when you're trying to set up quickly.

I have Adorama's version of that--mine is a couple of models up from this, but this is their least expensive one: 3Pod P5ARH 5-Section Aluminumn Compact Reversable Tripod with K3 BallHead 3P-P5ARH

The screw legs really can become a bit of a pain, but this thing is also so small and light that it's easy to carry anywhere, and typically when I'm using it, speed of setup isn't that critical to me, so the screw legs are okay.

I also have a much sturdier, better--and much, much heavier--old Manfrotto. That thing would hold a small car (though why you'd need to put a car up on a tripod, I'm still working on…lol), but it's WAY too heavy for me to carry around in most of the places I tend to go. I use it mostly at home, or for the occasional photo shoot that involves people (something I don't do much of). The flip lock legs are WAY easier to deal with!

Oh okay. That makes sense. I do think that flip lock would be easier. Shame because it looks like an otherwise excellent travel tripod.

Its on my list for consideration.

As sm4him already mentioned, going from the 3 leg tripod to the monopod will not happen in a blink of an eye, so don't think you can switch back and forth in seconds. My personal point of view on this is the following : for less than 200$, you get a very well made and feather light tripod, and a very good monopod too in the same package. How can you go wrong with that? I just bring what I need (tripod or monopod), because I usually know in advance what I'll be shooting.

For light weight, I would recommend carbon fiber. But you can barely get a CF monopod for under $100, so that is out.

How long did your last tripod last you? what did it cost? If you spent say $200 on a tripod with a good/decent head on it and it out lasted 2 of those $100 tripods, you've come out ahead.

I bought this one from a local shop and about a month later added a $100 ball head to it and am really happy with what I have, short of a carbon fiber one. Vanguard Alta+ 263AP 3-Section Aluminum Tripod ALTA+ 263AP B&H

Lightweight is important.

Price is important.
That's two of the three variables, so I hope you're o.k. with how sturdy the thing is.

Most reactions

Back