Tripod suggestions(not pro, just a hobby)

warheit12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every time I ask people about tripods and which one i should get, i always get recommended some 600 dollar thing. I am sorry, I totally understand that a 600 dollar tripod is probably amazing, but my camera/lens cost me 600 dollars as an amateur I just cant justify that kind of purchase.

I just want to mess around and take pictures, but sometimes i cant take the pictures I want because i lack a tripod. Night scenes, some landscape stuff. I also shoot video, and sometimes i want a static shot.

So any recommendations? I try to look up reviews for tripods i find in the 150~200 dollar range, but there isnt much information around about tripods in that level i guess.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh snaps you're in vegas too. If you want to meet up and and shoot together one day let me know. I'll bring the tripod so you can see it.

I vote for buying either Manfrotto or Bogen USED.

Not much to break.... and drop in price pretty well. Mine is an old Bogen 3021 scratched up but $35USD was an easy payment.

Here good things about Flashpoint stuff but no real experience with it... Adorama's brand I believe.

I don't use a tripod often. So I really didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one. I bought this one and was shocked by the quality I'd recommend it to anyone not looking to spend a lot and still have a quality product.

39.99+free shipping.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

I would NOT recommend that tripod. I have a friend that has one and it is NOT stable, even when used inside with no wind. It is little more than hand holding.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Manfrotto 055XproB is a great tripod and very versatile. It'll take a little shopping, but I got mine new for $120.

Let us look at this from a real life prospective.

Scenario 1. $600 camera on cheap tripod. Tripod fails, camera falls and is damaged. Cost to replace Camera = $600.
$600 + $600 = $1200 and you are right back where you started.

Scenario 2. $600 camera on a good stable tripod. For the sake of argument lets use your $600 tripod figure.
$600 + $600 = $1200. Difference, in a few years when you decide to upgrade you still have a stable tripod to use with the new gear.

You don't need to spend $600 for good stable support. But $300-$400 would be pretty common for most people other than say wildlife photographers and those that use big glass.

Most reactions

Back