Trying to decide on a shirt...

This is my friend who does the t-shirts at weddings.

But maybe it works for her since she's a woman?

View attachment 148976

That looks more like a bridal season on a different day not the actual wedding (what bride would want to risk getting her dress messed up at the wedding also wedding days are busy so probably would not have time for shots like that.) For that you don’t have to be dressed as formal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that shot is. But that's what she wears for weddings too, except she wears leggings instead of jeans.

If she wore yoga pants, would you do so too?

This is my friend who does the t-shirts at weddings.

But maybe it works for her since she's a woman?

View attachment 148976

That looks more like a bridal season on a different day not the actual wedding (what bride would want to risk getting her dress messed up at the wedding also wedding days are busy so probably would not have time for shots like that.) For that you don’t have to be dressed as formal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that shot is. But that's what she wears for weddings too, except she wears leggings instead of jeans.

leggings.....and a t-shirt...for a wedding?
is the reception at wal-mart?

every job is also a potential job interview for something else, so you want to look your best.
you have gotten excellent advice here, and your on the right track with changing your options a little.

If my photographer showed up in a shirt like that, i'd ask him to wear a jacket.

I think the embroidered polo (on the front breast only) is fine.

I have $30 hushpuppy dress shoes that are more comfortable than some sneakers. Hell I shot a whole wedding (about 10 hours on my feet) with a pair of brown wingtips.

Last edited:
Daryl's friend is dressed like the caterer's cleanup crew.

But hey! It works for her!

One of the first questions I ask a client once I've actually booked the event is, "How would you like me to dress?" My minimum standard for any event is a polo shirt and dress trousers & shoes. My reccomendation would be two of each (polo & long sleeve) in dark grey. Not black, but dark grey. One of the things you do NOT want to do at an event is stand out. Long dark sleeves help you blend into the background. Definitely embroidered text, mainly for durability, and definitely NOT the text on the back, for exactly the reasons Jason stated. Sure you could roll in in a t-shirt and cut-off jeans, but what would you think of a professional <insert profession here> at a major formal event showing up in beach gear.

One of things that is consistently commented on by clients is how much they appreciated my dress & deportment. I always match my dress to that of the event, EVERYONE over the age of 18 is "sir, ma'am, mister/mrs/ms" unless they explicitly tell me otherwise. Remember, even if the clients who hired you are fine with your looking uber-casual, the ten prospective clients in the audience who might want to hire you probably aren't.

Would this be dark enough gray for you, John?

View attachment 148978
That's very similar to the shirts I wear, yes.

Whatever you get, logo on the sleeve. Discrete, different and a touch of class. On the back is tasteless.

So you wouldn't want it on the front?

Yeah... I thought it was strange, too. But the fact that she's been so successful has had me doubting that assumption.

I dunno if this correlates the same to photography, but all the media companies up here in the north east of Scotland wear t-shirts/polos/jackets and have their logos on the back so clients can clearly identify who they are on shoots. I've even worn one one myself when accompanying them.

Whatever you get, logo on the sleeve. Discrete, different and a touch of class. On the back is tasteless.

Yeah... I thought it was strange, too. But the fact that she's been so successful has had me doubting that assumption.
define successful.
What kinda price range does she charge?
how many bookings a year.

Not if I had a choice. The front is fine but hard to see when you're shooting. On the sleeve is different and always visible. How many jobs do you really think you'll get from a walking billboard (referencing the back)? A T-Shirt with signage on back says desperate and don't mind me if I talk with a mouthful of food. It is the word of mouth and your website which is the best marketing tools. I know photogs which charge $15,000 per wedding ... he and his crew do not wear T-Shirts to their jobs.

I dunno if this correlates the same to photography, but all the media companies up here in the north east of Scotland wear t-shirts/polos/jackets and have their logos on the back so clients can clearly identify who they are on shoots. I've even worn one one myself when accompanying them.

Interesting...

define successful.

Her weddings start at $2,500, and she does about 15 or so per year. Pretty successful, I'd say.

Interesting...

define successful.

Her weddings start at $2,500, and she does about 15 or so per year. Pretty successful, I'd say.
ah I see the issue here: we have different definitions of a successful wedding photographer.
In my mind, a Successful wedding photographer charges in the $5,000 a wedding range (minimum) and and does maybe 15 to 20 a year.

Not my words either: How Much Do Wedding Photographers Charge?
You can generally expect wedding photography prices to range from $2,500-$10,000 depending on the photographers experience and/or offerings. Expect the top photographers (IE: the Jose Villa’s of the world) to start at around $6-7,000 and go up from there.

So there you have it....$2,500 is starting

According to Snapknot.com, the average cost for a wedding photographer is $2,814. However, in cities such as San Francisco and New York, wedding photography prices are closer to $4,000.

By that token, she's charging below average.

Interesting...

define successful.

ah I see the issue here: we have different definitions of a successful wedding photographer.
In my mind, a Successful wedding photographer charges in the $5,000 a wedding range (minimum) and and does maybe 15 to 20 a year.

You can generally expect wedding photography prices to range from $2,500-$10,000 depending on the photographers experience and/or offerings. Expect the top photographers (IE: the Jose Villa’s of the world) to start at around $6-7,000 and go up from there.

According to Snapknot.com, the average cost for a wedding photographer is $2,814. However, in cities such as San Francisco and New York, wedding photography prices are closer to $4,000.

My rates start at $1700, so I'd be more than happy to be making $2500! That's still about 30k a year. Perfectly livable salary. For me, at least.

I decided to go with two polos with logo on the sleeve, and two button ups with logo on the breast.

Interesting...

define successful.

My rates start at $1700, so I'd be more than happy to be making $2500! That's still about 30k a year. Perfectly livable salary. For me, at least.

I decided to go with two polos with logo on the sleeve, and two button ups with logo on the breast.

thats $30k before taxes, insurance, business expenses....
you could go work for BestBuy here in Orlando and make that...plus have health insurance, 401, and PTO.

its good for someone who isnt the only one working, or as a side job. not so much if shes the primary bill payer

Interesting...

define successful.

Like stated before -we have totally different ideas of what a successful wedding photographer is.

You need to be billing at least double that to make anything close to a livable income. If not you can do something to make you more money like working at Starbucks.

Most reactions

Back