Trying to decide on a shirt...

I don't feel too strongly one way or another, just want to understand.

Your insights are invaluable.

I think I'll be doing the polo with just an embroidered logo. As far as logos, should I stick with plain black, or do you think it'd be okay to add a little bit of style (see below)?

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 8.15.12 PM.jpg

This is my friend who does the t-shirts at weddings.

But maybe it works for her since she's a woman?

View attachment 148976
So go with a t shirt man...it's your deal. We have given you our opinions. Maybe it does work for her, but would YOU want a giant billboard running around at your wedding? Or something a little nicer looking?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Whether it works for her is debatable.
It all boils down the the image you want to project and your clientele’s expectations.

I think I'll be doing the polo with just an embroidered logo. As far as logos, should I stick with plain black, or do you think it'd be okay to add a little bit of style (see below)?

View attachment 148977

This is totally fine for mall photographers, family photographers, and school photographers. This reminds me of my early days working at LifeTouch.

If it’s a budget wedding and that is the clients you want to service...sure go ahead.

If you want to go upmarket...wear a suit. Rubber sole dress shoes are okay.

View attachment 148977

This is totally fine for mall photographers, family photographers, and school photographers. This reminds me of my early days working at LifeTouch.

If it’s a budget wedding and that is the clients you want to service...sure go ahead.

If you want to go upmarket...wear a suit. Rubber sole dress shoes are okay.

So.... is the plain black polo better?

I once had a very smart man tell me that, you should wear what you want to project. Read Chauasam's comment very close!

I appreciate the advice!

Can I ask why logo on the back isn't desired?
It makes you look like less of a professional and more like a billboard

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The waiter...I mean photographer at my brother’s wedding wore a bright red polo neck with his logo emblazoned on the back.

My GF kept referring to him as looking like he didn’t belong in someplace that elegant...and stuck out like a sore thumb in guests’ photographs.

It made him look like a waiter in a cheap casual joint.

Yeah, I'm at the age where all of my friends are getting married, were just married, or have gotten married in the last few years. I've been to a dozen weddings in the last three years probably, and I've never seen a photographer wearing anything less than a button front shirt, and most of them were wearing a sport coat or suit jacket of some sort too.

Even at other events, I think the logo'd wear might end up coming off as a little chintzy, but that's just me. I think the huge camera and bag full of equipment give it away. I'm sure you already keep business cards in your wallet for when people ask about your work.

One of the first questions I ask a client once I've actually booked the event is, "How would you like me to dress?" My minimum standard for any event is a polo shirt and dress trousers & shoes. My reccomendation would be two of each (polo & long sleeve) in dark grey. Not black, but dark grey. One of the things you do NOT want to do at an event is stand out. Long dark sleeves help you blend into the background. Definitely embroidered text, mainly for durability, and definitely NOT the text on the back, for exactly the reasons Jason stated. Sure you could roll in in a t-shirt and cut-off jeans, but what would you think of a professional <insert profession here> at a major formal event showing up in beach gear.

One of things that is consistently commented on by clients is how much they appreciated my dress & deportment. I always match my dress to that of the event, EVERYONE over the age of 18 is "sir, ma'am, mister/mrs/ms" unless they explicitly tell me otherwise. Remember, even if the clients who hired you are fine with your looking uber-casual, the ten prospective clients in the audience who might want to hire you probably aren't.

One of the first questions I ask a client once I've actually booked the event is, "How would you like me to dress?" My minimum standard for any event is a polo shirt and dress trousers & shoes. My reccomendation would be two of each (polo & long sleeve) in dark grey. Not black, but dark grey. One of the things you do NOT want to do at an event is stand out. Long dark sleeves help you blend into the background. Definitely embroidered text, mainly for durability, and definitely NOT the text on the back, for exactly the reasons Jason stated. Sure you could roll in in a t-shirt and cut-off jeans, but what would you think of a professional <insert profession here> at a major formal event showing up in beach gear.

One of things that is consistently commented on by clients is how much they appreciated my dress & deportment. I always match my dress to that of the event, EVERYONE over the age of 18 is "sir, ma'am, mister/mrs/ms" unless they explicitly tell me otherwise. Remember, even if the clients who hired you are fine with your looking uber-casual, the ten prospective clients in the audience who might want to hire you probably aren't.

That's a good point.

I ultimately want to balance comfort and design, and I have feet issues so I have to stick with the $160 tennis shoes (they look nice) I've got, and I think polo matches that a bit better.

But I, of course, would love to have higher paying clients, so I'll need to do some more research on shoe options, and at some point consider the button-up/jacket thing.

Thanks, everyone!

That's a good point.

I ultimately want to balance comfort and design, and I have feet issues so I have to stick with the $160 tennis shoes (they look nice) I've got, and I think polo matches that a bit better.

But I, of course, would love to have higher paying clients, so I'll need to do some more research on shoe options, and at some point consider the button-up/jacket thing.

Thanks, everyone!

Cole Haan makes some really comfy dress shoes. They’re basically Nike Air sneakers with a dressy look.

That's a good point.

Thanks, everyone!

Cole Haan makes some really comfy dress shoes. They’re basically Nike Air sneakers with a dressy look.

Hmm, I'll have to check them out!

I appreciate the advice!

Can I ask why logo on the back isn't desired?
IMO, it's not professional looking on a polo. Save that for t-shirts or windbreakers.

Would this be dark enough gray for you, John?

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 10.08.11 PM.jpg

View attachment 148976

That looks more like a bridal season on a different day not the actual wedding (what bride would want to risk getting her dress messed up at the wedding also wedding days are busy so probably would not have time for shots like that.) For that you don’t have to be dressed as formal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also recommend the dark grey over black. You can also put on a jacket over that if it really starts to get formal. Tee shirts would be fine for a few assistants that set everything up and then pack it all up. I have polo and long sleeve button shirts and almost of them are solid color and the logo is embroidered - above pocket on the button shirts.

View attachment 148976

That looks more like a bridal season on a different day not the actual wedding (what bride would want to risk getting her dress messed up at the wedding also wedding days are busy so probably would not have time for shots like that.) For that you don’t have to be dressed as formal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that shot is. But that's what she wears for weddings too, except she wears leggings instead of jeans.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back