Uber - Today's #1 WORST Corporation

let me whip out my old rotary phone and give the old cab company a call!

Yes cab companies are in it for profit too; but they've got a slew of legislation to protect their workers and customers; Uber was essentially side-stepping a huge block of that via its new approach to business. This let them cream off far more profit and also undercut the competition at the same time.

New business approaches should be encouraged, but if they come at a significant cost of safety, security and other aspects that we expect of such services then surely we should aim to bring the new business model into proper practice.

Who knows Uber could well survive and implement the same legislation and still come out on top; but they have clearly got to change their entire structure, approach and (I suspect) their attitude toward their business and service

I'm so excited that taxi cabs will start accepting credit cards! Let me dust off the old Discover card.

I'm so excited that taxi cabs will start accepting credit cards! Let me dust off the old Discover card.
you misread.
They'll accept more than credit cards
they'll accept BitCoin considering Square is now involved with accepting Bitcoin.

I heard about this new thing called personal checks, think they'll take those?

I heard about this new thing called personal checks, think they'll take those?

Yelling luddite over and over again doesn't make it a valid argument. You continue to make irrelevant snide remarks but have yet to put forth a single actual argument, unless you count, "It's, like, cool and modern."

I'm not making arguments; there's no point.

Geez I don't want to go back that far! lol Of course if a DeLorean showed up...

My point was this has seemed to have been done in an irresponsible way from the get go. Contracting with people to be out there on their own, that just seems to have been too much of a free for all and left it open to all kinds of problems.

And Leo, I hadn't read all that kind of stuff, it's been worse than I realized. In my area the problems have been people trying to block cars to prevent the signals getting thru (near the airport, which is a prime area), busy days that all kinds of drivers get in on it so regular drivers don't get many fares or make much, spending time and miles going clear out to a location to drive somebody 3 blocks.

I thought Bitcoin was on its way out...

Yes they can take electronic checks, just like many banks/credit unions take.
they can also take Apple Pay and the other ones too.

The problem with taxi cabs is they are union based, and organization based.
Uber is attempting to avoid all of that.

Just think if your gov't job was based on an app and anyone out there who wanted to do the job without certification.

Uber is attempting to bypass any regulation, etc in relation to a "company" and trying to differentiate "ride hailing" from a "taxi"; and thus trying to avoid any regulation (costs); unions, and general costs of having "employee drivers".

I thought Bitcoin was on its way out...

My understanding is its had a big revival and has even caused some graphics cards to have limited stocks as people build mining machines. I think that its essentially the current "get rich quick and free" method being used and likely will until it either folds or gets regulated/legislated.

Most of these companies like Target, Uber, and Yahoo, have never taken security very seriously, because security is a very high cost of doing business. I worked for 38 years for a top five corporation, and the money we spent on security would blow your mind. At the time I retired, there were 6.5 million attempted outside hacks each month; none successful. We hired people who spend all their at work time trying to break into our systems. They even drive around our facilities trying to hack into wireless routers. You also have to have people who get paid to do "what if" and "how could I" all day.

The most successful security requires both outward and inward facing web sites, and it requires that all data even of the most trite nature, be encoded to outside eyes. Most folks think that the "HTTPS" prefix is enough to be safe, which is furthest from the truth.

People don't really understand data encryption, anyway. They have no concepts about the nature of encryption, how the codes are actually created, and just how systems of odd random numbers help in the process. It is mind bending, but a lot of companies ignore the need.

It literally takes someone with a thief's mindset to help systems become secure. The CEO's of these companies just don't understand. They're too focused on marketing and sales.

Even Microsoft wasn't very smart when it came to handling files in their older O/S. At one time, print files moved un-encrypted from file server, to print server, to printer. No one ever thought an interruption in the process would be a problem. We had a need for instant check printing, and the files moved along, un-encrypted. One day, we asked "what if", and intentionally shut down a server before it could send the file, literally pulling the plug. It sat on the server, we restarted it stand alone without linkage to the LAN, got into the files and modified a $.01 test check to $1 million. Needless to say that this caused changes in the entire process, and that Microsoft modified their O/S to create encrypted files from applications.

Yes they can take electronic checks, just like many banks/credit unions take.
they can also take Apple Pay and the other ones too.

The problem with taxi cabs is they are union based, and organization based.
Uber is attempting to avoid all of that.

Just think if your gov't job was based on an app and anyone out there who wanted to do the job without certification.

Uber is attempting to bypass any regulation, etc in relation to a "company" and trying to differentiate "ride hailing" from a "taxi"; and thus trying to avoid any regulation (costs); unions, and general costs of having "employee drivers".
Uber has filed an appeal in a California case, where it was ruled that Uber is an employer. Uber maintains it is only a communication line (for lack of a better term), putting driver and rider together only.

I would guess that as "independent contractors" these drivers only get a 1099, not a W-2. Since Uber doesn't provide a traditional work place. But, Uber is not the only one who fights this. There are a number of employers out there who deny the traditional work model for people who are telemarketers, technicians, and others. They can also use this type of arrangement to avoid unemployment compensation claims, and even workers' compensation issues.

This will have to be sorted out at the Federal courts level. While California likes to be Progressive, interstate commerce is the purview of Congress.

Most reactions

Back