Ugh... Instagram Filters

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this happens to everyone. It's happened to me plenty, but a recent client just posted one of our photos, Instagram-filtered to heck, and it looks bad.

Normally, I wouldn't care because it's not worth the effort to talk to them about it. However, this is a repeat client with a lot more work to come, so I'm wondering if I should address it so that it doesn't become a precedent? Or if I should still not worry about it, for fear that may deter him from working with me again. Thoughts?

(And yes, it is in my contract that photos should not be edited, but I've never really enforced it)

I would. I would approach it from the point of view of, "I notice that you filtered (or whatever verb is appropriate) my image of... What was it that you didn't like about it?" Explain to them that while you don't have anything against that look (even if you do), it's not "your" look, and the images on-line represent your brand and please don't ever do that again or you will cut off their fingers and shove them up their nose!

I would. I would approach it from the point of view of, "I notice that you filtered (or whatever verb is appropriate) my image of... What was it that you didn't like about it?" Explain to them that while you don't have anything against that look (even if you do), it's not "your" look, and the images on-line represent your brand and please don't ever do that again or you will cut off their fingers and shove them up their nose!

Thanks for the tip. I think that would be a good way to go about it. Less authoritative, and moreso trying to foster understanding.

Okay, here's the draft message right now:

Hey man, I saw the photo you posted on Insta. I noticed that you put some filters on it and I was just wondering if there was something about the original photo you didn't like? I don't have anything against it, and I'm fine with minor edits, but something like a filter totally alters the image, and doesn't reflect the look I'm going for or my editing style. Images online represent my brand too, so if it's possible, do you think you could avoid using filters like that in the future? I thought I would just mention this now, so it isn't a point of contention for future work we do together.

Time to nip it in the bud, even at the cost of losing this client. If someone sees unflattering work with your business's name attached, they have no way of knowing it's been edited and might assume your work is not up to par.

I like the way your letter comes across--it is not demanding, but rather it asks in a very nice way that people not filter your work.

I’m wondering if the client is someone who has contracted you to take pictures for them
Then I wonder if there is a contract between you and the client?
If the contract doesn’t stipulate, the client can use your photos for whatever.
They become the possession of the client.
You took the photos on their behalf.

Ownership is legally complicated.
That’s why we have contracts.
If you want your images to remain your possession you’ll need to come to a different arrangement.

A different angle... post your own msg saying that the image xyz is not original and has been altered and the professionally you distance your self from the butchered image.. that or post a msg saying that you don’t produce cr ap like that and post an image to show just how good yours are... think the 1st idea is better

I’m wondering if the client is someone who has contracted you to take pictures for them
Then I wonder if there is a contract between you and the client?
If the contract doesn’t stipulate, the client can use your photos for whatever.
They become the possession of the client.
You took the photos on their behalf.

Ownership is legally complicated.
That’s why we have contracts.
If you want your images to remain your possession you’ll need to come to a different arrangement.

I always have a contract (if you read the post you would know that). My contract stipulates I own the copyright, and that images should not be edited. I've just typically not enforced it, but feel I should this time.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Okay, here's the draft message right now:

Hey man, I saw the photo you posted on Insta. I noticed that you put some filters on it and I was just wondering if there was something about the original photo you didn't like? I don't have anything against it, and I'm fine with minor edits, but something like a filter totally alters the image, and doesn't reflect the look I'm going for or my editing style. Images online represent my brand too, so if it's possible, do you think you could avoid using filters like that in the future? I thought I would just mention this now, so it isn't a point of contention for future work we do together.

Where’s the part about cutting off fingers and shoving them up noses?

On a side note. If the customer tells you they're going to continue, ensure in the future their shoot includes and agreement for the copywrite of the images at $1000 per image taken. Then just provide them the RAW files. When they come back WTF? Tell them that's the price of photographic freedom.

On a side note. If the customer tells you they're going to continue, ensure in the future their shoot includes and agreement for the copywrite of the images at $1000 per image taken. Then just provide them the RAW files. When they come back WTF? Tell them that's the price of photographic freedom.

Solid strategy xD

I personally think that many people are overreacting to Instagram filters. If the client hires you to take photos many people will feel that they own the photos. I'm not certain that being hardline about this will actually get you more business. I think there is a fine line between shooting for hire, and repeatedly emphasizing that you own the copyright to the photos

I browse Instagram daily, and have noticed that the filter aspect of Instagram has become much less pronounced than it used to be. In fact the vest majority of the photos that I see on Instagram have not been filtered, and look very "unfiltered".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back