Untitled Portrait | B&W | Critique pls

Ironlegs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does she really have iron legs? :beguiled: I think this is quite an unfortunate signature for portraits.

What does the watermark have to do with the portrait itself ? it obviously says "Ironlegs PHOTOGRAPHY" so i highly doubt anyone would even think about that.

Last edited:
why b&w? looks like this would be good in color.

What does the watermark have to do with the portrait itself ? it obviously says "Ironlegs PHOTOGRAPHY" so i highly doubt anyone would even think about that.
Perception. When I see that name I'm going to think sports, fitness, strength, etc. I am NOT going to think fashion, beauty, etc. The image itself is very nice ('though I might crop a bit off of frame left), but I agree that your name is a bit at odds with the style.

why b&w? looks like this would be good in color.
I had it in color, but the green leaves were leaving some odd green colors on her skin ! So i went B&W :)

Perception. When I see that name I'm going to think sports, fitness, strength, etc. I am NOT going to think fashion, beauty, etc. The image itself is very nice ('though I might crop a bit off of frame left), but I agree that your name is a bit at odds with the style.

But the name refers to me... not the kind of pictures i take... I am here for more than a year, posted many pictures and nobody ever had a problem with this. I am a dancer and this is my nick and i dont want to use my own name for my photography... so i dont see whats the problem. Seems like i will be the one who is different. And if so, do you have any other idea for a name ? :p

Sorry Ironlegs, no offence, but it drew my attention immediately. You may be right, and I am the only one who sees the irony here.

But the name refers to me... not the kind of pictures i take... I am here for more than a year, posted many pictures and nobody ever had a problem with this. I am a dancer and this is my nick and i dont want to use my own name for my photography... so i dont see whats the problem. Seems like i will be the one who is different. And if so, do you have any other idea for a name ? :p
I understand your point and I'm not disagreeing with it, but I'm sure you're familiar with 'word association'; the technique used by certain types of analysts whereby they give you a word or phrase and ask you to respond with the first word or phrase that comes to your mind. In the case of your name, what comes to my mind is things related to fitness, etc. As for suggesting alternatives, since I don't know you, nor anything about you, I'm hardly in a position to do so.

See, I had you figured for an Iron Man competitor.

I thought i would get some critique on this picture that would actually make me move forward... I appreciate your opinions but they are irrelevant right now. From this, i havent learned anything :(

I thought i would get some critique on this picture that would actually make me move forward... I appreciate your opinions but they are irrelevant right now. From this, i havent learned anything :(

I'll offer some critique! :) Disclaimer: I'm a newb, so feel free to disregard it...

First, I would second the mention above about cropping it from the left...maybe cropping so that little piece to the left of the tree trunk is cropped out?

Second, I like her pose other than the way her right arm looks. It might just be me but the angle creates kind of an odd look/angle? Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is...I'd try either opening up the angle a little bit or bringing the elbow in towards the camera just a bit...Just to see if that takes care of it.

I like it though!

She is gorgeous and the hint of a smile makes her even sexier IMO.

A couple of thoughts…
  • The main background (tree) is vertical and so is her pose. That would make me try to shoot a few in portrait orientation. Otherwise, at least try a vertical crop. I think the left side of the frame (beyond the tree trunk) is superfluous and I would crop that out anyway.
  • The secondary background (tree limbs) is as bright, if not brighter than her face. This becomes a distraction, taking away from your model. I would tone down those specular highlights quite significantly. They do add depth to the image.
  • Open armpit shots are much like crotch shots to me. Photographically, not my cup of tea. There is a large area of flesh that is virtually detail free and is not contributory.
  • Had she shifted her weight slightly and turned her back shoulder slightly towards the camera, it would not look amputated.
  • I think she needs a bit more of the mid-drift showing for balance. A vertically orientated shot would have given you this.
Ignore the dipsticks about your logo.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh Grandma, what great big beautiful eyes you have!
Maybe the eyes are just a tad over processed? They certainly pop and pull the viewer in.
I agree on the cropping, I'd probably do this in a 1 x 1 or maybe even a 6 x 4 portrait.
Lovely model, you can shoot her again. :D

By the way, I'm passionate about shooting dance, even though I have 2 left feet and am personally dancephobic. The wife and I went to see the Bolshoi Nutcracker Live (livestreamed) last Sunday and I found myself aching to shoot it. :)

Ironlegs, I'm no expert but as soon as I saw this shot it came across as good as it gets. I really like the tonal quality in the B&W processing. She looks great, nothing tarty. Excellent. I like the pose. All very professional to me, seems technically spot on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back