Upgrading to new NEW DSLR from D5100 suggestions.

Ok so I have decided on the D7100. Next questions is which lens kits besides ones listed be would be good for music,advertising,graphic design,videos,street photography. I currently have the following gear that I believe is compatible with the d7100. 1.EL-15 Battery. 2. 35 MM Lens. 3. 18-55 MM Lens. 4. EL-15 Charger. 5. Rode Video Mic with rycote suspension system. I would like a small bag for my camera gear as well for on the go as I am always at college and take photos daily.

Well in regards to lens the problem is with your pocket, you really is limited.
If you are willing to get used lenses then you will have a bit more flexibility, ALL my lenses were bought used and I saved a lot of money this way.
Still the D7100 will take a nice slice of your budget, if you already have the 18-55mm lens then you have a basic all around kit lens, this means you can buy just the body and to that add one more lens.
I really cant recommend a good lens for you because a good lens will cost you, cost much more.
For street photography you said you have the 35mm which is a good lens, it will also be good for nigth photography.
For music I am assuming you mean concerts you might be able to get the 70-300mm VR which is a telezoom lens, I have this lens, for its price it is a fantastic lens, will give you a lot of reach and is very sharp, new its about 450$+tax, I got mine for 280$ used and I heard of people here who got it close to the 200$ mark.
Instead of the 18-55mm lens you can get the 18-105mm VR which will give you a better focal range and this lens is optically a bit better then the 18-55mm lens.

Good lenses are a bit of a problem, the good ones cost over a thousand dollard even used.
You can get a third party lenses but even those aint cheap and a bit more risky then the Nikon lenses as they might be a hit or mis with their CQ.

I have the Nikon D7100 and I build a good lens collection which matches my need.

For everyday general use I have the 24-85mm VR which is a very sharp lens, good focal range cost me 280$ used,
For walk around and Macro I have the 60mm 2.8G, very sharp and good lens which I also use for portrait 390$
For walk around, portrait and night photography I use the 50mm 1.4D sharp, sharp lens 170$
70-300mm VR is my telezoom, use this lens a lot, very flexible lens that covers a great range but good only for outside use 280$
I shared with your my lenses so you might also consider then, you have the prices I got them for so that might give you better understanding how much you can save and how happy I am with the lenses I have.

All my lenses are FX, I plan in the future to move to FX (full frame) camera so I am ready with my lenses, if you get a DX lens and plan in the future to upgrade to FX then you will have to sell these lenses so maybe concidering getting FX lenses right from the get go will save you future headache.

Good luck.

I am on the verge of selling my equipment...what I have is listed below if you are interested.

Hello, I am wanting to upgrade to a better DSLR the d5100 has blown its last hoorah last Saturday What would be good for music and street photography. Nikon or Canon preferred. Also must be one camera not 2 separate cameras and must include prices for lenses and a flash budget is 1500 USD.

did the D5100 actually fail?

Well in regards to lens the problem is with your pocket, you really is limited.
If you are willing to get used lenses then you will have a bit more flexibility, ALL my lenses were bought used and I saved a lot of money this way.
Still the D7100 will take a nice slice of your budget, if you already have the 18-55mm lens then you have a basic all around kit lens, this means you can buy just the body and to that add one more lens.
I really cant recommend a good lens for you because a good lens will cost you, cost much more.
For street photography you said you have the 35mm which is a good lens, it will also be good for nigth photography.
For music I am assuming you mean concerts you might be able to get the 70-300mm VR which is a telezoom lens, I have this lens, for its price it is a fantastic lens, will give you a lot of reach and is very sharp, new its about 450$+tax, I got mine for 280$ used and I heard of people here who got it close to the 200$ mark.
Instead of the 18-55mm lens you can get the 18-105mm VR which will give you a better focal range and this lens is optically a bit better then the 18-55mm lens.

Good lenses are a bit of a problem, the good ones cost over a thousand dollard even used.
You can get a third party lenses but even those aint cheap and a bit more risky then the Nikon lenses as they might be a hit or mis with their CQ.

I have the Nikon D7100 and I build a good lens collection which matches my need.

For everyday general use I have the 24-85mm VR which is a very sharp lens, good focal range cost me 280$ used,
For walk around and Macro I have the 60mm 2.8G, very sharp and good lens which I also use for portrait 390$
For walk around, portrait and night photography I use the 50mm 1.4D sharp, sharp lens 170$
70-300mm VR is my telezoom, use this lens a lot, very flexible lens that covers a great range but good only for outside use 280$
I shared with your my lenses so you might also consider then, you have the prices I got them for so that might give you better understanding how much you can save and how happy I am with the lenses I have.

All my lenses are FX, I plan in the future to move to FX (full frame) camera so I am ready with my lenses, if you get a DX lens and plan in the future to upgrade to FX then you will have to sell these lenses so maybe concidering getting FX lenses right from the get go will save you future headache.

Good luck.

Thanks I will reply with what my decisions are on lens and bags etc as soon as I finish my hw for college.

As mentioned, the D7100 paired with an 18-105 isn't a bad place to start. The problem is, that pretty much kills your budget and leaves out the flash. One option is to go for refurbished gear, which should be just enough for a Yongnuo 586EX flash. Or if new suits you better, the next option would be to go for a Nikon D5200, which will give near identical IQ and pair that with the 18-105.

If you're looking to shoot music indoors you're going to want primes. You'll want a wide aperture to compensate for low light, and the 2.8 zooms are out of your price range.

Since the D7100 has a focus motor you can look at older lenses to save money. For example a 50mm af-d f/1.8 is a little more than $100. Even cheaper if you shop used.

and how is the d5200 a crappy camera?

No I am not upgrading to a crappy camera. I will be upgrading to the D7100 that's my final answer.

Well even though I recommend you to get the D7100 I wouldnt call the D5200/5300 a carppy camera.
Its actually a very good camera but if you want a camera you cn grow into and gives you many more options then the D5200/5300 then the D7100 is your camera.
More then that Nikon current DSLR cameras line are all very good and capable cameras, they are targeting different users and I also thing they are very resonably priced.

The D7100 will give you the advantage of getting older lenses which will not auto focus on the D5200/5300, these lenses are exc exllent lenses that are fantastic bang for the buck like my Nikon 50mm 1.4D (LOVE this lens!!!!!!!).
You also have the 1.3 crop mode which I found VERY useful when taking pictures of distance subject.
The extra weather sealing, extra dial, extra buttons for easier control and more and more and more.

So I wouldnt call the D5200/5300 a crappy camera but it is located one lever bellow the D7100 on Nikon camera tree

Last edited:
I will sell off my entire d5100 system and keep a few parts to help get better gear. My budget is 1500+what ever sells on craigslist=2200. I will take all your recommendations.

I will sell off my entire d5100 system and keep a few parts to help get better gear. My budget is 1500+what ever sells on craigslist=2200. I will take all your recommendations.

Well 2200$ will get you A LOT of good gear.
You will probably be able to cover all your basic needs and more!

Dont rush into buying the lenses and accesories, listen to every ones advise here then do your own research and then go and get what you chose.
This really is very exciting, isnt it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back