Using a TV instead of LCD?

DREWNOX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am shooting alot of product photography in my studio. I use a Nikon CoolPix 8800. What I would like to be able to do is to connect the camera to a flat screen TV or monitor and use this instead of the LCD while composing shots. I've looked into it some and it looks like I can connect it with an A/V cord but I think this will only allow me to view the photos after I've taken them, not live. I've read up on tethered shooting while connected to a computer but this isn't really what i'm looking to do. I don't really care to use my computer to control the camera. I just wanted to be able to view the shot on a bigger screen when I'm setting it up.

Any advice from someone who has done this will be greatly appreciated.

just out of curiosity...why a crt as opposed to an lcd?

Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of someone doing what you are trying to do. In fact, most high end digital cameras don't even allow you to use the screen to compose the shots so we do it the old fashion way, by looking through the viewfinder. Although, this feature is becoming more popular on newer DSLR cameras.

The advantage of digital is that you can take as many shots as you want and you get instant feedback. So you can take a test shot, review it, then make any adjustments and shoot again. This may not be what you are looking for, but it sure beats taking the shots, then taking the film to the lab and waiting for them to get processed & printed.

I believe the best way I know to do this is Tethered shooting.

FYI, the Canon DSLR camera ship with software to do so.

I believe the best way I know to do this is Tethered shooting.

FYI, the Canon DSLR camera ship with software to do so.
Yeah you would have to tether the camera to a computer that has that software.
I dont think that your can just use a monitor to compose your image, and if you could i bet you would have to use a computer along with the software.

You CAN

Just tested it with my Canon XT
If you have a video out you can connect it to a TV. This will display whatever would be on the lcd.

PIC OF PORT

Will see if i can find info for your camera.

I just hooked my Nikon D70 up to the TV, and you can review the pictures that you have already taken. I was unable to use the TV as a way to see what i was taking a photo as, I think this because my camera does no have Live View.
But the Canon XT does not have Live View as well so i don't know how that would work.

I just hooked my Nikon D70 up to the TV, and you can review the pictures that you have already taken. I was unable to use the TV as a way to see what i was taking a photo as, I think this because my camera does no have Live View.
But the Canon XT does not have Live View as well so i don't know how that would work.

:thumbup:

Correct you need live view

OP "US and Japanese versions of the Coolpix 8800 include an NTSC video cable for connecting to a television set. European models will doubtless have a cable for PAL timing and connections, given the Video Mode option in the settings menu. All images that would normally appear on the LCD are routed to the external video display so that the television screen becomes an enlarged version of the LCD monitor and can be used both for image playback and composition."

Thanks to everyone for the help. The camera does have a video out port and I know it can be connected to a TV. I had to order the cord since I seem to have lost the one that came with the camera. My only question, Opher, is after reading the info you posted, do you take that to mean that this will only work in Video Mode? If it will work in Camera mode, that would be perfect. Can't wait to test it when the cord comes. If this only works to review photos I have taken, that will still be better than having to go to my computer and open the shots up to check before changing the product each time.

From my interpretation i think it should compleatly replace the on camera LCD.

Happy to help

That would be awesome if it works that way. To be able to look at a 26" screen while composing a shot......sweet. I shoot alot of small, shiny items at very close range so it's hard to make sure the small details are in focus as well as check the depth of field and make sure there are no odd reflections on a 2" LCD screen. Alot of shooting then going back to the computer, opening up the pictures to find out that it's slightly out of focus or something. Going back to the camera and reshooting the same shot.

I should have the cord this week so I will let you know if I get it working.

Thanks again,

Drew

Im trying to set something up in my home studio, where I can see the image immedialty after I take it. I to dont have a video cord to plug into my tv. If I go buy one, well I dont need to see the shot br I take it, but as soon as I take it Id like for me and my customers to view it on a LCD or a projection screen. IS it as simple as hooking it up or do I have to teather it through a laptop?

as has been said above, the TV will replace the on camera Lcd. So, yes you will be able to view/ compose the pics, and will be able to view the playback of the pics while zooming in and out and stuff. so yeah, get that AV chord. Sad thing for me is the lack of clarity on my TV. DAMN :(

Fujis let you use a tv for composing shots. Not sure bout the coolpix

Most reactions

Back