Vintage Cameras as Stress Relief

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by WhaleDaughter, Mar 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WhaleDaughter

WhaleDaughter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. I self describe myself as an enthusiastic amateur photographer. I started young but was regularly discouraged. Then a few years ago a wrist injury made knitting difficult and painful, so I cast about for something to keep me from climbing the walls and discovered that I could hold a camera. I bought a Canon Rebel SL-1 and that was the first slip down the slope. I fell hard in love with LensBaby, especially with a macro converter because it can really make something mundane into an abstract that really makes the viewer think about what it is they're seeing.

I also really love collecting vintage cameras and shooting film. I seem to have a knack for finding really great deals at thrift stores and swapmeets and Craigslist. I look for cameras that I'm interested in, more than what "someone else" thinks is valuable. I'm infatuated with the Voigtlander Vitomatic line (I have 2 now). I inherited my grandfather's Canon F-1 (to go along with our shared love of photography). I've put a full list of my cameras (and some of my lenses) in my profile information.

When I'm not doing photography, I'm a graduate student furiously writing on my doctoral dissertation, I work full time, and I knit (I crocheted my niece a camera for her 3rd birthday :p). Suffice to say, there is quite a bit of stress in my life. Lately I've noticed a dramatic uptic in my acquisition of vintage cameras, and yesterday I realized that I'm using it as a pressure release for the stress in the rest of my life. I'm mostly OK with that (it's better than doing drugs) but it is a bit expensive for the socioeconomic level I currently enjoy so I'm going to try and slow down for a bit. Hopefully having this forum to engage with will be a new (and cheaper) release valve. I hope to start sharing some of my images soon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome. Better than doing drugs or alcohol. Have fun when you can!

3. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The Vito's are the best cameras. I have the Vito I, Vito II, Vito B, Vito BL, Vitomatic II and Vito CLR.

4. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From one vintage junkie to another, welcome! I even knit. :) Please use your deal-finding powers to locate a smoking deal on a Hassy 500 CM kit for me, wouldja? ;)

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to TPF! We have a lot of film shooters and vintage camera buffs around here, so you're in good company. :)

Keep posting, and have fun!

6. WhaleDaughter

Photos OK to edit
    I'll keep my eyes open...

7. ZombiesniperJr

ZombiesniperJr Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to TPF!

8. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Welcome to the forum. I knit too. I'm looking for a Nikon F. If you get me a good deal on ther F I'll write your dissertation for you. (I have couple unused laying about.)

9. Luke345678

Luke345678 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the site!

10. greatchimney

greatchimney TPF Noob!

Hi, that's well and good to hear @WhaleDaughter that you focus and choose photography than drugs. I presume you love the arts very much and you are real creative. Welcome to the site! I'm excited to see some of your images soon. I must agree that cameras are a stress reliever.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  11. WhaleDaughter

Photos OK to edit

Thank you everybody for the kind welcome words.