Wahington DC at night, C+C Welcome

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband and his parents visited Washington DC for a few days last week, one of the days after eating at Teds Montana Grill in Arlington (love that place, they sell Bison) we drove into the city, it was about 1130 and there were still lots of people about.

These pictures are probably cliche night pictures of DC, but I dont care :)

The monuments that we saw were spectacular at night, I could really capture the full grandure of them, but here are my attempts.

I will be going back to Washington DC with just my husband and I hope to do some more pictures like this, what should I do different?

This is standing in the World War Two Memorial, looking up through to the Lincoln Memorial
2543690998_277cdd81c4_b.jpg

Thomas Jefferson Memorial, It was kinda cool standing by the water because every few minutes I would here plop splash of the fish sufficing and splashing around
2543785242_060ceabb0b_b.jpg

The next two are the Washington Memorial, I did get to go up to the top of it in the daytime, a school group had too many tickets and gave us their spares, it was a 77 second ride to the top.
2543772338_3f1554b149_b.jpg

My portrait orientated pictures were very crooked, my tripod doesnt go to the full 90 degrees so I did have to do a bit of cloning and cropping to get them okish. New tripod is on my long list of things to buy
2542925789_354c51a63f_b.jpg

Exif data for these pics is on flikr if you are interested, click flikr link below and they are the first photos you see, then click on properties on the right side of the picture.

I love Washington, DC...such a great place for Photography.

I don't suggest going in the winter though...the fountains aren't on, and the memorials/monuments don't look as good if there isn't a lot of color around them...

The pics are awesome...I can't wait to go down next year, I'm debating whether to go in the fall for Columbus Day, or in the spring for the Cherry Blossoms...

Wonderful shots. I might crop out the red lights on the bottom of the last shot. I like them in shots but it detracts from the monument's majesty. I love the first shot of the Lincoln over the fountain. It is one I have not seen before. I live outside of the city and love to go in and take pictures.

The first one of the washington Monument is a bit over exposed but it does look different that way on the stones and is pleasing in its own way. I prefer the last one though if I had to choose.

Thanks for the comments

I wasnt sure about the lights in the last shot either, Ive also noticed some fence or something going across the bottom of that shot, its deffinatly not one of my fave pictures of the night.

In that first one I posted I liked how the blackness of the trees leads you to the monument.

I love my Canon 50mm 1.8, I took these with that, I know its not ideal, but its the widest lens i have had the moment :( Its frustrating that I have to keep backing up ...

The pics are awesome...I can't wait to go down next year, I'm debating whether to go in the fall for Columbus Day, or in the spring for the Cherry Blossoms...

Simple! Go both times XD

Very nice pictures though :)

#1 + #2 are my favorites.

:hail::hail: Some stunning images. Very well captured. Was there a couple years ago, and can only wish to go back.

Would be cool if you captured the whole reflection in the water of the memorial!
Good pictures nonetheless!

Oohh, well that makes sence then;)
Don't get me wrong, I love all of them!:)

We should set a time and all meet up in DC and see what we can capture there. Might be able to help each other out. My Photography Club does that every month at a different location early in the morning but at night they are not as interested. I understand about 50MM being the widest lens too. I have a 35 as my widest and am looking at getting a 24 or even wider but it all take more money as you get wider and wider.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back