Want to buy a digital SLR camera to get into photography

Also I was reading this thread earlier and have some questions about it

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/99621-beginners-do-not-buy-d40-d40x.html

Now I am pretty set on my decision to get the D40, I cannot afford anything else right now and don't want to drop over $900 on a hobby I have never even tried. My question is if I decide to buy some AF-S lenses to use with my D40 will I still want to/be able to use them if I decide to upgrade my body to a D90 or something later on?

My question is if I decide to buy some AF-S lenses to use with my D40 will I still want to/be able to use them if I decide to upgrade my body to a D90 or something later on?
Yes, the D90 will use the lenses just fine.

You'll enjoy the D40, it's a great camera for a beginner.

Just so you know about another option.

Dell has the Canon Rebel XS with kit lens for $489. And bing has 20% cashback on Dell site. So it will be about $391 after cash back (plus shipping and tax)

Dell has the Canon Rebel XS with kit lens for $489. And bing has 20% cashback on Dell site. So it will be about $391 after cash back (plus shipping and tax)

Great I had almost decided too!! Haha thanks for the info time to do some research on this camera. What do you guys think about it compared to the D40?

Great I had almost decided too!! Haha thanks for the info time to do some research on this camera. What do you guys think about it compared to the D40?
There is not much difference beyond ergonomics.

What it really boils down to is which camera makers system do you want to commit to, because once people chose a brand they tend to stick with it for a quite a while.

Dang 400 bucks for the D40 with kit lens?

I'm going to see if I can find a refurb or new body for a spare. At the cheap price it's going for now, I'd be stupid not to pick one up.

Dang 400 bucks for the D40 with kit lens?

I'm going to see if I can find a refurb or new body for a spare. At the cheap price it's going for now, I'd be stupid not to pick one up.

Its like $380 after bing cashback.

For a brand new one that's a steal.

Damn they just raised the price to $440 I knew I should have bought it last night.....UGHH

Now I might just go with the refurbished for $375 do you think I will be safe with the 90 day warranty or would you reccomend just buying it new still.

Darkhunter139, the D40 would be an excellent starter dslr. I currently own the d40x and have really enjoyed it as a photography noob. Its easy to work with and the shooting menu is very easy to understand with the help menu system. Perhaps the one thing that really bugs me about this camera is the 3 point auto focus. If I could change anything about this consumer dslr is maybe have a few more auto focus points because it would make shooting things in motion much easier. Good luck on your choice and don't forget to get an actual feel for the cameras that you're interested in by checking them out at stores. The D40 is one of the smaller DSLRs out there so getting a feel for it and the controls would definitely help you make your choice.

take care

Is piece of mind worth $65 to you? If so, buy new... if not, buy refurbished.

Is piece of mind worth $65 to you? If so, buy new... if not, buy refurbished.

It really depends is it common for people to have problems with the camera?
Probably not if they buy it new. Refurb means something went wrong with it originally and it's already had to be repaired once.

Refurb also means everything is gone through and brought to specs from Nikon, unlike a new one.

I wouldn't think twice about buying refurb myself, it's a good deal.

Most reactions

Back