Want to buy a digital SLR camera to get into photography

Is piece of mind worth $65 to you? If so, buy new... if not, buy refurbished.
It really depends is it common for people to have problems with the camera?
Probably not if they buy it new. Refurb means something went wrong with it originally and it's already had to be repaired once.

Just found it on newegg.com for $440 - 10% cashback which will bring it to $395 almost the same price as it was at Adorama. I am going to jump on this now so I dont miss out again!

Enjoy, can't wait to see your first photographs.

I cant wait to take them ;) getting understanding exposures tomorrow. Any other good books worth buying?

Thanks to everyone that helped me, you were all very helpful.

The Digital Field Guide for the D40, also take a look at the Digitutor for the D40 on Nikon's site, great stuff.

After you click 'Skip Intro, click to open the menu on the left to get to the good stuff :)
D40 | Digitutor | Global Site | Nikon Imaging

For outdoor/nature shots a nikon 70-300mm af lens is a great choice, you can snag them used for as low as $100.

Cool ill check one out. I am going to want a tripod too because almost all my shots will be outdoors and I think it will make it a lot easier. Is there any I should specifically look at or will pretty much any do?

I have the Slik 700DX Pro with Manfrotto 488 ball head... love it.

Really depends on what type of photography you need one for, I don't use mine that often.

I cant wait to take them ;) getting understanding exposures tomorrow. Any other good books worth buying?

Thanks to everyone that helped me, you were all very helpful.

The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman -- One of the best books on composition I've found

Refurb also means everything is gone through and brought to specs from Nikon, unlike a new one.

I wouldn't think twice about buying refurb myself, it's a good deal.
It wouldn't bother me either...but I would have just a tad more confidence in a new model rather than a refurb.

Refurb also means everything is gone through and brought to specs from Nikon, unlike a new one.

I wouldn't think twice about buying refurb myself, it's a good deal.
It wouldn't bother me either...but I would have just a tad more confidence in a new model rather than a refurb.

Ive had bad experiences with refurbished products in the past and so has my friend so it kind of made me shy away from it.

Yes, there are a few AF-S 70-300's available, I personally would recommend the 70-300 G AF-S VR. It's more expensive but the quality is so much better than the $100 ones.

I sold mine and got the Sigma 18-250 HSM OS (which would work great with a D40 by the way). More range and incredible results.

A recent thread on it here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...news-reviews/184840-sigma-18-250-awesome.html

Side note:
You can use any lens ever made for a Nikon SLR on a D40, the only difference is that ones without an internal focus motor will not auto focus.

Auto Focus is really important though right?

And wow pretty much all AF - S lenses are over $400 huh?

35mm f/1.8 is $199

Now you can see why some people opt for a camera body with the motor in it... you can pick up a 50mm f/1.8 for $100 or less sometimes.

About the only time I find myself NOT using auto focus is maybe portraits and macros.

So say i bought a 400 70-300mm af-s lens for 400 dollars would it be better then a 200 dollar af lens that was comparable to it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back