Wanted!

I like it. Nice tone and comp.... I never thought of myself as old (except when I'm chasing the kids around) but I had no clue what emo was either. :er:

I agree with the comments on great shot... I also agree that the "wanted" text is distracting. You might try burning that part of the picture ever so slightly. Makes me miss the days in the dark room.....

I think the shot works well. The DOF is right on, as is his askance view just past the camera. I also like the relatively restrained contrast - it would be too easy to pop the white.

The shirt works well in context of the subject - emo is just that way. Unlike Punk (which wanted you to go away in no uncertain terms) or New Wave (which wanted to be left alone) the whole Emo thing is quite emotionally aware, and likes to use feelings in a manipulative way - it's far more self-aware, and not always in an ironic way.

Still, if you're not adverse to Photoshopping, blurring the "Wanted" might add a layer of complexity to the composition that makes the text a secondary focus, not a competitor ot the subject.

Iron Flatline said:
I think the shot works well. The DOF is right on, as is his askance view just past the camera. I also like the relatively restrained contrast - it would be too easy to pop the white.

The shirt works well in context of the subject - emo is just that way. Unlike Punk (which wanted you to go away in no uncertain terms) or New Wave (which wanted to be left alone) the whole Emo thing is quite emotionally aware, and likes to use feelings in a manipulative way - it's far more self-aware, and not always in an ironic way.

Still, if you're not adverse to Photoshopping, blurring the "Wanted" might add a layer of complexity to the composition that makes the text a secondary focus, not a competitor ot the subject.

Thanks for the comments. I agree entirely with what you're saying and the shirt thing was, as I mentioned earlier, completely deliberate. The "Wanted" aspect was a bonus, and as you say works well as a tag line; it wasn't perhaps quite as analysed as you make it sound(!), but he preferred that t-shirt to the alternative (which said "Demon"). And as for manipulative emo - that's him (to a "t" as it were).

Always a pleasure to recieve positive comments/crit, so I shall apply your viewpoint to my next interpretation!

Rob

I love it, Rob. I think this portrait works from top to bottom, great DOF and nice tight crop. :thumbup: He has a wonderful, expressive face.

Great job! :D

Very nice. I love the tones. This guy seems to me like he wants to be emo but just cant be. His hair is about all I see that is "emo". The shot is great, dont get me wrong. I feel, however, that this shirt should be on a clearance rack at K-mart in the little girls section. For some reason the Shirt bugs me, which bugs me more because i do love the photo over all.

Most reactions

Back