Watercraft for On-Water Bird Photography

quinte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering a kayak for setting up for bird/wildlife photography from a water vantage. I am seriously looking at Jackson Kilroy and Native Ultimate FX 12. Any suggestions? :02.47-tranquillity:

dont flip over or drop the camera in the water?

I own a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. It is very stable and I have used it both with my 100-400 handheld and my 500mm on a tripod. Photography on a kayak is challenging, but you can get some shots not otherwise easy to get.

I use a Lund fishing boat. It's got a wide beam and shallow draft. Also has an electric trolling motor for sneaking up on birds.

Also goes about 50mph so I can chase birds across the lake.

If you're thinking lakes and bodies of water with no waves, a flat-bottom boat (fishing kayak or similar) will be fine. However, if there are waves, even 2-3 ft., then a flat-bottom boat can be flipped. Consideration needs to be given to the current as well - if there is current above 1 knot, then a flat-bottom boat could be at a disadvantage, as they are "usually" slower than the more narrow boats like sea kayaks.

I actually use a old Volkswagen beetle for this.:1247: I thought about getting a Kayak instead but its a recipe for disaster with me,I will flip when I stand up for a shot... I just know it.Good Luck and may the wind be at your back.

If you really need to sneak up on the little critters, get one of these: ;)

Papa_class_submarine_2.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I will mostly be using this on flat/calm waters. I have a Pelican 2 man, 10 ft boat that I can use. It would be more stable than a kayak due to the increase in width, but not quite as maneuverable. I will probably also use the kayak for fishing. The wider based, tunnel hulled kayaks are more stable than many of those built for speed and touring, so flipping over in calm waters is not that big of a concern for me. I have boated/fished all my life, so I know my limitations. Just interested in particular kayak models. Thanks for the input on the Native.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back