Watermark, The Good, Bad & Ugly

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This isn't meant to criticize any choices made on watermarks, but rather to see if there are any guidelines as to how large, how small, how intricate, etc. they should be. My own personal preference is that mine blends into the background so as to not distract from the photo itself, but that's just my choice. Any other comments from others?

I have a number of versions I use for different purposes. When I'm donating free stuff, I have a smallish one set to about 40% opacity, for high-crime use (ie where I think people are likely to try and use the image when I don't want them to, a much larger version, which runs just below the faces, and for proofs, I use 'PROOF' at about 15% opacity covering the middle 2/3 of the image.

I have a few rules for a watermark that goes onto any of my images.
#1 must have mustache
#2 must be placed somewhere on the photo.
#3 must......have mustache.

Decide WHY you want a watermark on your photos and go from there. If you want one for exposure make it bold. If you want one to prevent someone stealing your images you are wasting your time.

Well being just a wildlife shooter as a hobby I generally just put on the bottom left that can be easily cropped off. I don't do it to prevent theft but more a pride thing and recognition that I took the shot.

Decide WHY you want a watermark on your photos and go from there. If you want one for exposure make it bold. If you want one to prevent someone stealing your images you are wasting your time.

I suspect most all of want the recognition for a good work, and agree with you on preventing someone from stealing your images. My question though, is at what point does "bold" detract from the image itself?

I suspect most all of want the recognition for a good work, and agree with you on preventing someone from stealing your images. My question though, is at what point does "bold" detract from the image itself?

In one of my art classes, someone asked about signatures on our paintings. The teacher opined "the more subtle, the better. If it's a good painting, you want them to get close and see who the artist was." Maybe a bit more conspicuous than this is what you should strive for. I think you need to look at it as you would any other element in an image - if it tends to attract your attention more than anything else, then it's too much.

Thank you. I have one of those once in a while. ;)

this is how i watermark my shots

75309-1st-timer-miata-girl-braineack.jpg

I could hardly notice it the red car is distracting..LOL

Braineac - I thought that was just Graffiti on the wall???
I understand a watermark can't stop theft. But I have a seen one where the photographer put about 50 or more small copyright notices all over the proof. At a distance they were unobtrusive but up close very, very obvious.
I only put a small notice at the bottom of any of my feeble efforts that I sell, just for reference of anybody that may want more.

My business model is not about selling pictures.
I sell the hours I work for my customers.
So if somerone steals pictures of my customers their lawyers will take care of them.
If someone uses my pictures for commercial my lawyers will send them a bill and make them pay.
That is about it. Interested parties can find my contact data in the file headers and in the context.

How would a "watermark" help?

"How would a "watermark" help?"
For me it's just a note at the bottom of a photo that someone that sees the photo, and likes the work, knows who to contact for similar work.

No watermarks for me, I don't want to make my photos look even worse.

I know some people use watermarks to make their photos look "professional". :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back