I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The detail shots have always been the hardest for me. But through the magic of second shooting, I am able to get the occasional bit of experimenting in while im not needed for "work" shots or schlepping equipment.
this was just me getting to mess around a bit.
LOT of light coming in through that window. I kinda liked the cool look color wise. was a little iffy on the curtains, but there really wasn't much else to be done with them. a tighter crop maybe? Im half and half on the vignetting. I think in part due to the uneven amount of curtain on the sides.
Figured i would toss this one out here so you all could see some of the stuff I have been messing with and maybe get some advice on shots like this.
thanks in advance. :D

View attachment 48413

To be honest, I'm NOT fond of the blue cast; I think some fill flash would really have helped here. I do like the diaphanous quality of the fabric, but it's just got a bit of a cold look to it.

To be honest, I'm NOT fond of the blue cast; I think some fill flash would really have helped here. I do like the diaphanous quality of the fabric, but it's just got a bit of a cold look to it.

hmm...well, since i cant go back and reshoot...what if I dropped the exposure a hair and warmed up the pic?
something like...

View attachment 48415

I don't really like the hanger showing. I'm kind of iffy about the curtains as well. Maybe a darker room, with just the backlit dress would've been nice.

I love shooting these shots. I always spot meter on the dress and do a quick custom WB. It makes PP really easy because of the wonky color casts that you can get. I always get the whole hanger in there too especially when it is strapless. (unless I am doing the really detailed ones) I also would get the whole bottom part of the dress in the frame as well, especially since the hanger was cut off.

I love shooting these shots. I always spot meter on the dress and do a quick custom WB. It makes PP really easy because of the wonky color casts that you can get. I always get the whole hanger in there too especially when it is strapless. (unless I am doing the really detailed ones) I also would get the whole bottom part of the dress in the frame as well, especially since the hanger was cut off.

The whole bottom of the dress was huge. It was a really long train. With the dress hanging there, it is just crumpled up on the floor. This was my first dress shot so i was kinda guessing on some things. I probably should have researched a few good examples beforehand, but honestly, i dont usually take these kinds of shots. Can you post a few of yours?

Last edited:
It might do best in b&w, since it's not about the color anyways.

Yup, zap the color because it ain't helping one bit.

$dres1.jpg

I don't like the blue. I DO like the warmer version and the B&W conversion.

I'd like to see more definition around the edges of the dress, and in the details. The light coming through the window really kills the details which are important. The blown out background really takes away from this. Is it possible to tone down the highlights?

I will obviously have to dabble in this a little more next time i get the chance. Maybe i can dig up the wifes wedding dress... Its been stored SOMEWHERE for the last 15 years. Dont think we have a good window for it though.

The black and white looks nice. I know the hanger showing is not optimal, I could try to clone it out for him but then the dress would look like a floating ghost. lol.:)

You did a good job. It is hard to shoot a complete wedding dress and get any details. I have several nice fabric hangers that I use to hang them from, that away there is no homely hanger in the shot. I took this wedding dress shot this spring. The church had no windows, so I used a clear thumb tack to hold the hanger. Don't like the popcorn wall, and room was basically a closet. Anyway maybe you will get a idea from it.

I draped the dress over a chair.

$image-4112345134.jpg

$image-3780812047.jpg

$image-3351043830.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back