Wedding..."legal"..issues

This thread should be linked to anyone who says they want to become a wedding photographer.

This thread should be linked to anyone who says they want to become a wedding photographer.
So if you want to be a wedding photog you should 2nd shoot (with no contract) and show up with better/more equipment than the primary shooter ?

I know of a photographer who said he started putting in his contracts that if he had to wait for guests to get out of the way with their cameras/phones during formals/posed shots, he would bill for the time. Seemed to put a stop to a lot of this type thing because the B&G don't want to get billed extra for time he's standing there waiting to do his job.

Not that handling it the same way will work for everyone, or that it would work for people popping up out of their seats and getting in the way during the ceremony, but it seems like this is more and more a problem and needs to be made clear from the beginning what the photographer needs to be able to do.

Maybe it needs to be considered in the contract, to cover situations when the photographer may not be able to provide adequate photos of the ceremony due to guests interfering by taking pictures. In this case if the cousin wasn't paid and the B&G allowed the cousin to take photos I don't know if there's anything that can be done now - I agree with others that it might be necessary to provide photos according to the contract and be done with it.

So if you want to be a wedding photog you should 2nd shoot (with no contract) and show up with better/more equipment than the primary shooter ?

I have a local that has inquired about me second shooting with him; I'll have MUCH better equip than him...

You guys are all right. My pride just hurts a bit. I intend to deliver pictures and do the best I can with what I have. I didn't trust my gut, when asked to shoot her wedding. I knew I wasn't ready for that big of a step in the photography world. But when the cousin posted all of those pictures from her business facebook page and tagged everyone in them, I was so friggin butt hurt. I live in a small valley and every time someone likes one of her images, in theory is a client I've lost for possible referral. Not to mention, her watermark was so very similar to mine, I worried people would think assume her photos were mine and not notice the watermark difference. I know I'm being an ass, I know I'm irritated for no reason, I know that if I was confident in my work I would be assured that my images would out shine hers. I feel like a dick, but man...common curtousy, some manners and a little logic (you'd think) would have come into play when the bride and groom realized she used this "shadowing" as a stunt just to advertise her own business. What a jerk. I'm over it. Time to move on. Lesson learned...the hard way. I've got a lot of learning still to do. I fell in love with photography and the politics muddy up my passion something fierce. Must grow thicker skin.

I'd second shoot for anyone, as long as I'm being paid of course.

Less worries, no stress of dealing with finding clients and dealing with them and the zillas that come along.

Sign me up

I'd second shoot for anyone, as long as I'm being paid of course.

Less worries, no stress of dealing with finding clients and dealing with them and the zillas that come along.

Sign me up

I dunno, I'm starting to see a heck of a business opportunity here myself. Forget second shooting - I'll hire myself out as a wedding enforcer. Cousin-zilla steps in front of your shot.. no problem, I'll lay a proper paparazzi beatdown on her. Uncle Annoying making your life a living hell? Well if they find him floating face down in the fountain out back, these things happen right? I sort of like the Bruce Lee zen aspect of it all too - the art of shooting a wedding without shooting a wedding.

Ya.. hmm.. need to come up with some business cards here I think.. rotflmao

your business cards are brass knuckles.

I would like to see images of this wedding with the cousin in the way.

And what equipment did she actually bring?

Not that I'm disagreeing with your statements, I am just a curious MF.

I'm sure many of us would be peeved (to say the least) at this situation too. So it's not just you.

And probably us other weddings newbies wouldn't quite know what to do at that point either. It's one of those live and learn things. At least it sounded like the wedding went okay and you didn't have a bridezilla .. or Mother-In-Law-Zilla

I'm sure many of us would be peeved (to say the least) at this situation too. So it's not just you.

And probably us other weddings newbies wouldn't quite know what to do at that point either. It's one of those live and learn things. At least it sounded like the wedding went okay and you didn't have a bridezilla .. or Mother-In-Law-Zilla

Everyone keeps talking about Zillas, but no one seems to care about the eminent danger of an unsuspected visit by Godzilla.

Most reactions

Back