Wedding Questions

I don't care how many others you have seen or how popular it is, the angled, off-kilter views are just not acceptable in professional work. Keep the camera level, either in the vertical or horizontal position. I get dizzy looking at them.

Isn't that statement slightly self-contradictory? Whatever the client likes and pays for is acceptable. That's not my taste, nor a style I would recommend, but if the client says, "I like crazy angles", then crazy angles I will shoot.

I don't care how many others you have seen or how popular it is, the angled, off-kilter views are just not acceptable in professional work. Keep the camera level, either in the vertical or horizontal position. I get dizzy looking at them.

Isn't that statement slightly self-contradictory? Whatever the client likes and pays for is acceptable. That's not my taste, nor a style I would recommend, but if the client says, "I like crazy angles", then crazy angles I will shoot.

I agree ^^
I agree too, but only in so far as the client asking for, or expressing an interest in that style of composition.

I see it mostly as a way many new photographers try to be 'artsy' and 'professional' rather than it being client driven.

The photos the OP posted aren't even finished. They still need to be color corrected and sharpened, not withstanding the lighting in all of them is quite flat and should have been addressed at the time the photos were taken.

Real Ale would have worked
392201651_gE8yn-L.jpg

Thanks for all the advice...I am officially scared shi*-less now:blushing:

Why would you say that?

Bella is a big name is wedding photography, and check out their port.

Kelly & Fraser | Los Angeles Wedding Photography | Bella Pictures

I see plenty of angled shots.

A many professionals avoid the same old boring flat angles and look for something that gives the viewer a unique perspective.

To each their own, but to make a blanket statement that you always need to keep the camera level is way off base and honestly, bad advice IMHO. I suggest people think outside of the box and learn to find new and interesting angles. Of course I'm not suggesting you shoot angled shots for every image, but it certainly doesn't hurt to use the technique when it works for the shot.

Last edited:

I LOVE angled and off kilter photos and they are in fact common among pros and "acceptable in professional work."

I grabbed the first magazine I saw
pg 6 index July August Digital Photo magazine 4 of 8 photos angled and off kilter.
pg 29 1 of 2 photos angled and off kilter

I LOVE angled and off kilter photos

I provide several hundred photos to the wedding party and the ones that I hear glowing comments about months or years later are the stylish off kilter or Photoshopped ones.

Hollywood and businesses spend fortunes to arrest peoples attention with shots like these. The standard straight text book photos are nice but old news. Just like the original posters wife and kid (I assume) they are old news. (sorry no disrespect to make a point) But these off kilter photos are new and exciting views of the old news.

Anyone can and will take the old news style photos of the wedding. The off kilter and clever photos will make the memories of that day sparkle again years later.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice...I am officially scared shi*-less now:blushing:

Good. Now you are properly armed to succeed. A healthy dose of fear can give to the needed edge to do your best work. Go for it. The only ones that never fail - have never tried. (partial failures like a missed shot)

Anyone can and will take the old news style photos of the wedding. The off kilter and clever photos will make the memories of that day sparkle again years later.

I agree with InTempus, but not with the statement above. It's no longer clever if you do it *every time*. The angled photo for the sake of it is far too common and it really grates with me. Sure, do it if there's a good reason. Perhaps to inject a dynamic feel to a shot, or to use the extra length "corner to corner", but not every shot, please. The ceremony does *not* need to look like an MTV promo.

Have a read here to see when it works (ok, this link is for cinematography): Dutch angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: "widely used to depict madness, unrest, exoticness, and disorientation", "a technique which can easily be overused". :meh:

Why would you say that?

Bella is a big name is wedding photography, and check out their port.

Kelly & Fraser | Los Angeles Wedding Photography | Bella Pictures

I see plenty of angled shots.

A many professionals avoid the same old boring flat angles and look for something that gives the viewer a unique perspective.

To each their own, but to make a blanket statement that you always need to keep the camera level is way off base and honestly, bad advice IMHO. I suggest people think outside of the box and learn to find new and interesting angles. Of course I'm not suggesting you shoot angled shots for every image, but it certainly doesn't hurt to use the technique when it works for the shot.

No, I'm not even going to look. This is all BS. Maybe in beer ads, where you're trying to give the impression of drunkenness....but otherwise it's totals BS.

inTempus....do you not know who you are contradicting? He is Prime, the all mighty. Better than Ansel Adams, and all wedding photographers combined. He is thephotographic messiah, here to save us all from our hopeless abyss of angled pictures and landscape photography. We should all bow before him.................Just kidding. Hes a complete sh*t stirring, toolshed. Ok, maybe toolshed is too harsh, I kid, but he's d.efinately a sh*t stirrer

Now to the OP....use two bodies, one with a short fast lense , and one with a long stable zoom. Flash may or may not be allowed. Use many small memory cards incase one crashes. During the vowes, your noisy camera can be distracting so the long zoom is handy then also.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back