Weekly challenge: 4/27 - 5/3 The Shooting Blind Challenge

My bud called up with his new purchase. I thought a perfect opportunity to blind shoot. He is pretty stoked about his purchase, as am I. To be transparent, I shoot this way a lot being a street photographer. I crop and straighten a lot. My goal when shooting this way is depth of field. I preset my camera using the sunny 16 rule, I use either shutter priority or aperture priority dependent on what I'm doing. At the end of the day, I am a 100% viewfinder guy but blind shooting, it enables me creative control over the entire frame if I'm on my game.

Belt buckle shot, Nikon D610, 70-300 VR
NIK_6377E.jpg

high reach on semi truck mirror, triple reflection, back glass, side mirror, and actual glass for sign. D610
NIK_6383E.jpg

Crop
NIK_6384E.jpg

high reach on semi truck mirror, no crop
NIK_6385E.jpg

Last edited:
The grand's birthday party. I took the Sony RX100iv today for video and switched into photo Auto mode which I think has a Wide focus area. I held the camera above my head and pointed down at the group. Not cropped.
042719_17_v2SmW.jpg

My bud called up with his new purchase. I thought a perfect opportunity to blind shoot. He is pretty stoked about his purchase, as am I. To be transparent, I shoot this way a lot being a street photographer. I crop and straighten a lot. My goal when shooting this way is depth of field. I preset my camera using the sunny 16 rule, I use either shutter priority or aperture priority dependent on what I'm doing. At the end of the day, I am a 100% viewfinder guy but blind shooting, it enables me creative control over the entire frame if I'm on my game.

View attachment 172202

high reach on semi truck mirror, triple reflection, back glass, side mirror, and actual glass for sign. D610
View attachment 172203

Crop
View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206
JC, I really like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

View attachment 172202

View attachment 172203

Crop
View attachment 172205

View attachment 172206
JC, I really like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Thanks. The first one was from the hip and for reference.

Eyes straight ahead. Camera out the window. Morning on a country road in VA. No crop but a little bit of tweaking. Also noted later that there were some dried rain spots on the filter so will be a little more attentive in the future.

20190427074930_IMG_1886-01-1024x683.jpeg

Can see that I've not done this kind of thing, in a serious way, in maybe 10 or 20 years?
Yesterday, a rainy day with an enormous amount of gusts, it was 'Koningsdag' in the Netherlands, the King's birthday and in the big cities there are all kinds of festivities, singers and dancers etc. and - such as in Amsterdam - all over town hundreds of spots where everyone can sell old things in a street stall.
In our village it's never that wild, there's some music and children sell, always with their parents present, old toys, books, clothes etc. Took my old Canon G9 , both hands together and half under my sleeve, and tried to produce something. Switched off the direct "view" function so as not to be tempted, at home I was only able to see what it all had become. ISO 1600, all pix made in the same wide-angle setting.

View attachment 172223
View attachment 172224
View attachment 172225
View attachment 172226
View attachment 172227

Here's two original pics to show how much crop was needed...
View attachment 172228 View attachment 172229

Last edited:
Father watching. I cropped for composition (shot a little wide for challenge) and straitened this image. If I didn't pop this off at the belly, I would have missed it. D610, 70-300 VR.

NIK_6724E.jpg

Can see that I've not done this kind of thing, in a serious way, in maybe 10 or 20 years?
Yesterday, a rainy day with an enormous amount of gusts, it was 'Koningsdag' in the Netherlands, the King's birthday and in the big cities there are all kinds of festivities, singers and dancers etc. and - such as in Amsterdam - all over town hundreds of spots where everyone can sell old things in a street stall.
In our village it's never that wild, there's some music and children sell, always with their parents present, old toys, books, clothes etc. Took my old Canon G9 , both hands together and half under my sleeve, and tried to produce something. Switched off the direct "view" function so as not to be tempted, at home I was only able to see what it all had become. ISO 1600, all pix made in the same wide-angle setting.

View attachment 172223
View attachment 172224
View attachment 172225
View attachment 172226
View attachment 172227

Here's two original pics to show how much crop was needed...
View attachment 172228 View attachment 172229
Some nice ones here GK.

46801205385_e97ca6ce8f_z.jpg

Me, shot by the beloved wife, on one of my dead reckoning, shooting blind attempts. On other attempts I placed the camera all the way to the ground and guessed how much to tilt it back up. Those attempts ended up with better straightness of horizons... :)

And here is one of those attempts. I didn't bother straightening as I liked the sort of Dutch angle tilt.
Shot with a Hoya R72 filter on my Fuji X100, kneeling as seen in the photo above. Then brought into Nik Silver Efex.
47675320292_94188ccc3c_b.jpg

Some interesting images up to this point. Lets go out on a limb and get a little more creative. Ok, so we know we can shoot wide and crop. Lets dial it in and see our vision. I set out on vacation to shoot a short roll. I had the advantage of knowing I was going to present this as Peg approved it. I just developed the roll tonight. Lets discuss (not my short roll ) if there are any advantages to this process. For me, its about getting the shot. Why not practise some to get better at it. Questions I have? Are there advantages? When to do it and why?

Most reactions

Back