Weekly challenge: 4/27 - 5/3 The Shooting Blind Challenge

46801205385_e97ca6ce8f_z.jpg

Me, shot by the beloved wife, on one of my dead reckoning, shooting blind attempts. On other attempts I placed the camera all the way to the ground and guessed how much to tilt it back up. Those attempts ended up with better straightness of horizons... :)

And here is one of those attempts. I didn't bother straightening as I liked the sort of Dutch angle tilt.
Shot with a Hoya R72 filter on my Fuji X100, kneeling as seen in the photo above. Then brought into Nik Silver Efex.
47675320292_94188ccc3c_b.jpg

Freaky imagery, love it.

Some interesting images up to this point. Lets go out on a limb and get a little more creative. Ok, so we know we can shoot wide and crop. Lets dial it in and see our vision. I set out on vacation to shoot a short roll. I had the advantage of knowing I was going to present this as Peg approved it. I just developed the roll tonight. Lets discuss (not my short roll ) if there are any advantages to this process. For me, its about getting the shot. Why not practise some to get better at it. Questions I have? Are there advantages? When to do it and why?
Alas, I went out Saturday and while the first image I posted wasn't cropped or horizon leveled, this next one has been.

Some interesting images up to this point. Lets go out on a limb and get a little more creative. Ok, so we know we can shoot wide and crop. Lets dial it in and see our vision. I set out on vacation to shoot a short roll. I had the advantage of knowing I was going to present this as Peg approved it. I just developed the roll tonight. Lets discuss (not my short roll ) if there are any advantages to this process. For me, its about getting the shot. Why not practise some to get better at it. Questions I have? Are there advantages? When to do it and why?

In the film era 'shooting from the hip' was synonymous with candid photography, street photography, action, photojournalism, in other words making quick and direct photos since there is no time to focus at ease, choosing a shuttertime/aperture or changing any lenses. It's too bad these kind of concepts are slowly being forgotten in this digital world.

I find 'blind shooting' not something that's solely or exclusively related to creativity, the accompanying photo is from the previous weekly challenge, I held the camera - kneeling on the platform - with 2 arms as far as possible above the train tracks without using the lcd or viewfinder (I didn't stand on these tracks myself) through the fisheye effect the tracks seem to be distorted which makes the photo, not the fact that I used my Fuji XE-1 camera blind. For me, it's all about the (end) result, how it's obtained or created is absolutely less important to me.

View attachment 172333

As a very small boy we lived in The Hague next to a very famous Dutch photojournalist (Simon Smit, 1914-2012) who regularly visited us and perhaps I became interested in photography by him? Simon Smit won the Zilveren Camera, Dutch prize for outstanding photojournalism, no less than twice in 1955 and 1957. This prize has been awarded since 1949 to the photographer who took the best press photo of that year.
(https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/onderzoeken/fotocollectie/detail/acd39424-d0b4-102d-bcf8-003048976d84)

Simon Smit went to events and always made a show of his appearance with a lot of cameras around his neck and a high aluminum ladder that he placed between the audience or other photographers in order to have the best "spot in town" and when a large circus came to The Hague, he once crawled into the lion's cage (together with the trainer) to make a fantastic photo for the newspaper. All kind of "tricks" he used that nobody noticed in his pictures and aren't mentioned anywhere, because only the end result counts and the way in which it was achieved or with what kind of camera or lens the photo was taken actually is not important.
Oh well, just my opinion.

Gerard

Shooting blind do you find yourself leaning one way more than the other? When I take beach photos with the Sony RX100iv it is too bright to use the screen. Yes it does have a pop up viewfinder that I forget about. I find all of the photos lean a tad to the right. With digital it is easy to straighten/crop in post and not worry too much about leveling. The video I try to keep even and steady, but still crop straighten which video can be zoomed 10% without loosing too much sharpness.

Shooting blind do you find yourself leaning one way more than the other? When I take beach photos with the Sony RX100iv it is too bright to use the screen. Yes it does have a pop up viewfinder that I forget about. I find all of the photos lean a tad to the right. With digital it is easy to straighten/crop in post and not worry too much about leveling. The video I try to keep even and steady, but still crop straighten which video can be zoomed 10% without loosing too much sharpness.
They do sell one and two way bubble levels for hot shoe...

yes for me there would be advantages one of my subjects is street photography, I pre set the camera and up date the light reading every so often that way I can point and shoot as some of the tings I see often leave no time for framing

Holding my Fuji X-T2 out at arms length from a balcony and pointing the lens at my 'model'.

When I heard the auto-focus beep, pressed the shutter. Only tried it once as I was worried I'd drop the camera!

2019_0428_12463600_20190501010135744.jpg

Working on the road, Monday. Nothing done, got lucky. Need a better scanning method, this Epson V800 is horrible with 135 film. Nikon Lite Touch AF600. Kodak Tmax 100, HC110B.

Blind Shoot (2).jpg

Most reactions

Back