Weekly. Challenge- Mr Sulu, you have the con

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For this week’s challenge, use manual focus and manual exposure. Take total control of your shot. Any subject, any settings but no auto focus, no aperture priority, no shutter priority and no auto ISO. If you edit your photo- no filters or auto adjust options - you can edit all you want but you have to use the sliders and make your own call on what to adjust and how much. Let’s see what you’ve got!

As always, new photos only for the weekly challenge please.

What Is Focus Peaking? (And How to Use It in Photography!)

Using Manual Mode: Exposure Lesson #4

if you haven’t tried manual mode or don’t think you’re ready for that, know that we were all in that same spot at some point - pick up a used copy of Bryan Peterson’s Understanding Exposure for under $10 and you’ll be on your way.

Exposure is easy; my issue will be focus.

What are you shooting with? Does it have focus peaking? I like to use that and instead of turning the focus I lean in or out to get what I want in focus. Also will sometimes shoot in burst mode to make sure I don’t just miss.

All manual settings. No post processing.

02969D9C-9281-4EAE-BBAB-1F5C086A3458.jpeg
0BACF679-CA1A-4F78-B46C-98CFDCCC68AF.jpeg

What are you shooting with? Does it have focus peaking? I like to use that and instead of turning the focus I lean in or out to get what I want in focus. Also will sometimes shoot in burst mode to make sure I don’t just miss.

I just have to chase the green dot (focus indicator in VF) - I also shift slightly, if needed.

This one is easy for me.
Ive been shooting almost exclusively with the Fuji mirrorless with the Minolta lenses.

I am hving great fun with it.

How ironic. Until recently the airplane did not have an autopilot. Now that it does I have to practice using in. You don't want to be fumbling with it on an instrument approach.

I usually shoot in aperture priority. So now I am forced to " hand fly" the camera!

On the promenade today, Sea Point, Cape Town, SA.

20200216120717_IMG_6499-01-01-1434x955.jpeg

Half hour earlier from hotel room. Lion's Head.

20200216114214_IMG_6488-01-1531x1228.jpeg

I confess that shooting in full manual mode is not much of a “challenge” on a mirrorless. The what you see is what you get viewfinder really takes the tough part out of it. It’s just the manual focusing that’s extra work for me.

I’m heading out shortly into Cambridge where there’s a great view of Boston from across the Charles. I may bring the camera and see if I can manually focus some blue hour skyline pics. Now that I don’t share my car with Princess anymore I can leave my older tripod and a spare warm jacket in the car for last minute photo opps like this.

I confess that shooting in full manual mode is not much of a “challenge” on a mirrorless. The what you see is what you get viewfinder really takes the tough part out of it. It’s just the manual focusing that’s extra work for me.

I’m heading out shortly into Cambridge where there’s a great view of Boston from across the Charles. I may bring the camera and see if I can manually focus some blue hour skyline pics. Now that I don’t share my car with Princess anymore I can leave my older tripod and a spare warm jacket in the car for last minute photo opps like this.
looking forward to seeing them...

Nice tweaks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back