ksharlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.islandwonder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
whale3401.jpg

A friend works for a local whale watching company. The owner took her and her friends out for her birthday. I felt very lucky to be invited.

Island Wonder!

Interesting picture. Shame the background is a bit grainy.

Think it could have been more effective if you took it either a bit earlier to get the head (if you could see it that is), or a bit later to catch the tail.

I know. It was a birthday party so I put on a small size to get more photos but less resolution. You can't really see the head unless they breach and for some reason his tail didn't pop up. I did get another of two tails at once. I haven't tinkered with it yet. Once again though, low resolution.

With whale watching, you never know how much of the whale you'll see or for how long. Everyone hopes for a breach or a spyhop or tail-in-the-air, but just the fin or fluke is more typical. Still, it's an awesome, humbling experience, isn't it? And it looks like you were fairly close.

I was very surprised by how close we got. I thought most of them had headed north already. The group saw some dolphins and jumped in the water. (I didn't realized we were swimming and wore jeans.) The whale came out of nowhere and passed within 10 feet of them. It was extremely humbling. My jaw was ajar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back