what am i doing wrong? and ideas?

chrissy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I've been doing photography for a while now, but usually just adjust the iso, and different lighting rather than using flash- because when using flash it seems to add too much shine to the image. however i just recently started using a flash gun, just for the extra lighting, whilst i wait for my studio lighting to arrive. since doing this almost 50% of the images i took have blurred in gone out of focus or the camera has just stopped focusing altogether and refuses to take the photo- i've used a tripod to make sure it wasn't due to camera shake and it didnt make a difference.
So i just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on what i can do to help, limit or stop this from happening- because i've been getting some really good poses and framing but had to get rid of the photos due to them being soft in focus. any help would be much appreciated.

Also, just as something extra, i was wondering if anyone knows of some good shooting locations around cardiff, or of any good or interesting poses for people photography or group photography- been doing alot of work with singular models, but started getting couples ( two people) and also groups, but not sure on what would look good, but something thats different to the everyday group shots you always see.
location wise-i'm looking for locations for fashion/swimware shoots, as the other styles i do are indoors.

Are you using a single focus point?

When you used the tripod did you turn the IS off?

"single focus" -What do you mean? sometimes i put it on auto focus and other times i use the manual. i have a nikon D3000- dunno if this makes anything easier?

"single focus" -What do you mean? sometimes i put it on auto focus and other times i use the manual. i have a nikon D3000- dunno if this makes anything easier?

MEans you can select which focus point to use rather than having the camera do it (wrong) for you.
I would suggest reading your manual...:thumbup:

ah right - yes i do, do that, sorry i just hadn't heard that term for it before, thats all.
I've read my manual for it- i've even used it on the guide mode, which is pretty much the most basic of basic. i've never had issues with it before, its just since using the flashgun, so maybe its more to do with settings? i guess i'll just hafta go over different settings and possibly re-read my manual :)

Try posting a few example pictures WITH EXIF data - hard to guess without seeing what the problem looks like.

Maybe im just too tired to think straight right now, but thru the viewfinder before you snap the shutter does the photo look in focus to you? Do you press the shutter button half way and focus, then capture. Or just press all the way? Thats really the only thing I can come up with, maybe your shooting in a situation that your camera cannot focus but your taking the photos anyways. Depending on the type of focus setting your camera is in,(unaware of the options of the d3000). The 3000 has a guide mode? :er:

" 50% of the images i took have blurred in gone out of focus or the camera has just stopped focusing altogether and refuses to take the photo"

I may be wrong, but this sounds as if you're using the flash as the only light and the camera won't or can't focus. What other lights do you have on in the room?

Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back