What am I doing wrong?

Dick Stilton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my first digital camera at the age of 57, me, not the camera. It was a gift from my grandson and im not getting on very well with it.
Nikon Coolpix S9900. The problem I am finding is with getting sharp photos without flash in a medium low light setting. Fiddled about to the point of frustration. Ive tried auto settings, scene, Auto Aperture priority etc but I cant seem to get a sharp photo without flash even in a moderately well lit room and camera well braced. Please advise.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Do you have the feeling that it is a focus problem and the camera doesn´t focus well, or is it a general image quality problem.
Low lighting would mean higher ISO which in many cases reduces the image quality to an extend where people could say it is not sharp.
Can you post an example with and without flash? We could have a look at the so called exif data and perhaps find a reason.

Hi, Dick, and welcome! I love your cheese, by the way.

Yeah, photography.

I think you'll have to go to manual so you have more control. Also; you should mount the camera to a tripod or hold it down on a table or something like that. Even tape it down with that kind of tape that peels off easily.

The shutter speed (the time it is open) is the thing that will get the proper exposure, so set the aperture first. Mount the camera to a tripod, set the shutter speed to give a good exposure, then set the self-timer and stand back. I am guessing that the shutter speed will be in the two-second range or even longer, so holding the camera in your hand is not going to be steady enough.

Show us examples.

Joe

Are you familiar with photography from the film days, or is this a completely new undertaking for you? I'm guessing the latter? "Well lit" to the human eye and "well lit" to a camera are two totally different things, and chances are that there simply isn't enough light to get the picture you want. Smaller cameras, especially the "point & shoot" style like the Coolpix line have smaller sensors and a reduced ability to handle low light situations, so it's entirely possible (likely even) that you simply can't get what you want, but as mentioned above... examples, svp!

There is a reason flash was invented! Why are you avoiding flash?

Some small cameras can do okay photos in dim lighting conditions if they are tripod-mounted, so the camera can make a slow-speed or timed exposure without being jostled. Of course, as mentioned above, SAMPLE PHOTOS could very possibly help determine what the issue(s) you are confronting is based on.

Skimming through the Cameralabs review of the S9900, it looks as if ISO 400 is the top usable ISO level for larger prints, and that 800 and above are only useful for small prints; this is mostly a sensor size issue.

This is sort of a random short question but i was hoping some 1 cud answer it to for me (didn't want to create a thread to ask a lame question also if there is a giant thread for dumb question(s) i would really appreciate it if someone could direct me there from now on)...

On over-cast days outside like cloudy/grayish days with no sun i typically find that none of my photos tend to pop in regards to color, like i usually just use low/around base iso and low ss like 1/100 leaving the aperture open more tends to help a bit...

This is sort of a random short question but i was hoping some 1 cud answer it to for me (didn't want to create a thread to ask a lame question also if there is a giant thread for dumb question(s) i would really appreciate it if someone could direct me there from now on)...

On over-cast days outside like cloudy/grayish days with no sun i typically find that none of my photos tend to pop in regards to color, like i usually just use low/around base iso and low ss like 1/100 leaving the aperture open more tends to help a bit...
You are always welcome to post a new thread - usually people will be glad to help. Some may not, but that should not bother you ;).
Did you check your white balance? Of course an over-cast day doens´t bring out the colors like a sunny day would. Even if there is some slight haze in the sky the difference on the photograph is much more noticable than in real life. Changing the white balance does help a bit, but not too much.
Over-cast days have other strengths (for portraits and such), you always have to make the best of the situation ;).

On an overcast day,one can expose over or under and still get a mostly usable file, due to low contrast lighting which keeps overall scene dynamic range lowish; one idea is to therefore raise the degree of the Tone Curve a bit higher, or in other words, boost the degree of contrast!

Small sensor cameras such as the one mentioned, love tripods. You would be shocked to see the difference. I have a Canon SH60HS that is a very capable camera and shines when it is held by a tripod and the appropriate shutter speed is used.

Thanks for the responses guys and sorry for the de-rail,

No i actually didn't even think about white-balance ha oops coz it's an over-cast/shady day? i normally have it on auto, so i'm guessing increasing it would likely bring out more color.

...The problem I am finding is with getting sharp photos without flash in a medium low light setting...

How about in well-lit situations, like going outdoors. If you don't have a tripod or other things like the recommendations above, or if you haven't pulled pictures off the camera yet, it might be quick and easy just to take the camera outside during the day. Then try gradually decreasing the light (indoors, mid-day), etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back