What are your thoughts on natural light photographers

The main questions is, why limit ourselves?

But maybe the terms "Natural" sounds better than "Artifical". LOL You know, 100% PURE NATURAL orange juice sounds better than 100% ARTIFICAL orange juice! :D

It's about knowing when a particular lighting method is appropriate. I don't think there is anyone on here that will argue that. Natural light is awesome when conditions permit and strobes are awesome as well. Sometimes ya gotta mix the two.

The snark and chuckles begin when the cliche Facebook photographer opens shop and rather than admit they don't know Jack Schitt about when to use an appropriate light source, they call themselves a natural light photographer. This somehow generates oohs and ahhs from their friends.

Marketing indeed, around Tampa these advertised "Natural Light Photographers" will show up with their bestbuy DSL all day, and if you get a good one they might even have one of those small round collapsible reflectors heh

I admit that I know squat all about using artificially created light - and I don't care a super great deal only because I am prejudiced about the impact that having lights etc makes on the subject.

I try very hard to capture a picture where the person is somehow connected with me and I have the feeling that rolling in lights, etc, hurts that connection. To me, most studio pictures, no matter how good, look like they're taken in a studio and are quasi-artificial.

Perhaps if I were better or had more experience, etc. I wouldn't feel that way but I don't want to invest time and money in trying to master a technique that gives me results I don't want.

All that being said, I do use reflectors on occasion.

A good photographer should be able to shoot natural light and flash, what if you get to a shoot and there is no natural light or they want the shoot inside

I admit that I know squat all about using artificially created light - and I don't care a super great deal only because I am prejudiced about the impact that having lights etc makes on the subject.

I try very hard to capture a picture where the person is somehow connected with me and I have the feeling that rolling in lights, etc, hurts that connection. To me, most studio pictures, no matter how good, look like they're taken in a studio and are quasi-artificial.

Perhaps if I were better or had more experience, etc. I wouldn't feel that way but I don't want to invest time and money in trying to master a technique that gives me results I don't want.

Yeah but you don't fit the bill of the self-proclaimed "natural light photographers" around here I'm referring to, that has that marketing plastered on their FB page and business cards =)

One of the wife, flash or no flash ?
946710333_teUVT-L.jpg

For me photography was a business, not a religion. I was mostly interested in a connection to their wallet. ;)

In what context do you mean? I'm sure I can guess, but I'd prefer clarity over guesswork - esp since anyone workout outside of a studio controlled environment has to work either with or against natural light. Also are you considering natural light as sunlight only or as light from any ambient source not under the photographers direction?

Just a general question. Are there any circumstances in your (or anyone's) opinion where using only natural/available light is acceptable?

I've seen a lot of negativity towards those who consider themselves natural light photographers. Wondered of anyone here wasn't opposed to it.

Yes, natural light can work fantastically well if you understand the light you are seeing in front of you! You don't need flash or lighting as a necessity, but it is a fact that when lighting conditions are not so good then flash, reflectors and external lighting can become your best friend. As with most things in life, there is no strict rule to using flash or not using flash in my opinion. It is about using skill to judge the light you have at your disposal.

A friend and I were riding down the road and I wanted a quick shot with some junk gear I keep in the car.

And see, I screwed up and didn't have a natural light photographer with me. d*mn trains =)

SRW_1165.jpg

....... "Steve, natural light photographers either can't afford lighting, don't understand lighting or both. Lighting is critical and off camera lighting allows us to better control it"

I wanna see this person photograph something like, oh, say....... the Grand Canyon. Or the Andes. Or..... the Moon.

Uh, I think he's referring to natural light portraiture.

....... "Steve, natural light photographers either can't afford lighting, don't understand lighting or both. Lighting is critical and off camera lighting allows us to better control it"

I wanna see this person photograph something like, oh, say....... the Grand Canyon. Or the Andes. Or..... the Moon.

Uh, I think he's referring to natural light portraiture.

I think you're right. And portraiture is exactly what the ones around here boast "natural light photographers" is all about

Flash or no flash? Which which?

1. p200021406-4.jpg
  2. p102045456-3.jpg
  3. p1040439868-4.jpg
  4. p672610418-3.jpg
  5. p63427449-4.jpg

Most reactions

Back