What are your thoughts on natural light photographers

Natural light is challenging to work with, because it is largely out of our control. The only thing we can do to control it is wait or try to time it. But we're also at the mercy of the weather.

Natural light pictures tend to look more natural, as they should.

I have a lot of respect for folks who successfully use natural light for portraits. Outdoor natural light pix, like football, get less respect. ;)

I'm an especially big fan of B&W natural light portraits and city street scenes.

Let me quote a pro locally here when I asked about folks bragging about being natural light photographers only: "Steve, natural light photographers either can't afford lighting, don't understand lighting or both. Lighting is critical and off camera lighting allows us to better control it"

I wanted to argue but..... I'm just a nooB student and I prefer real lighting too over reflectors and trying to catch the right time of day of window over controlling light plus the studio would be dark heh

I would be in the both category. I understand some flash techniques but dont have proper equipment to practice and hone these skills. There is nothing wrong with using natural light though. Many beautiful things come from when you work with what you got. But I have wished I had a good flash on many occasions and have not. So I would say it is good to know how to use both properly.

Are there any circumstances in your (or anyone's) opinion where using only natural/available light is acceptable?

for me, the answer is recursive: it is acceptable every time is acceptable (in the time frame you have for shooting). By the way, since the material is the same as Keith says, even modifiers cannot be considered "natural" - including tents on windows, blinds, etc.
For us amateurs is not really a problem. Sometimes I believe to have seen the light (ops *), take a shot, comes out bad, amen. Or I try and retry until the light lasts. The real pro sees the light, and is able to reproduce it if no more available.
A nice reading on this is The hotshoe diaries. Worth for knowledge and style.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photos I posted some used flash.

Angel is stirring up the drama again! lol!

This thread delivers...although quite dimly
bigthumb.gif

I always try and use natural light first, just to keep a natural picture. Yes, I know you can use artificial light to make a natural picture, but I'm not generally on that level yet. I'm learning though!

I have decided that, since the kind of light seems so very important, I will not use light from just anywhere. I have it on good authority that sunlight may be tainted from bouncing off of pollution-laden clouds or the moon's surface, not too mention the faintest amount of starlight - an unseen but possibly lethal contaminant.

I have vowed to use, not just run of the mill natural light, but light that is certified organic and has been pasteurized to free it from bacteria and filtered to get out all those ugly rays that make people look less attractive than they really are.

So I will be a filtered, totally organic, pasteurized natural light photographer from now on.

I have decided that, since the kind of light seems so very important, I will not use light from just anywhere. I have it on good authority that sunlight may be tainted from bouncing off of pollution-laden clouds or the moon's surface, not too mention the faintest amount of starlight - an unseen but possibly lethal contaminant.

I have vowed to use, not just run of the mill natural light, but light that is certified organic and has been pasteurized to free it from bacteria and filtered to get out all those ugly rays that make people look less attractive than they really are.

So I will be a filtered, totally organic, pasteurized natural light photographer from now on.

I prescribe to this ^

...............And, I will be marketing a brand of specially treated cheesecloth that, if draped over a suitable frame (also available separately) will filter out both harmful pollutants from natural light but also deadly starlight. prices available on request.

If you purchase the cloth and frame, I will certify you also as a filtered, totally organic, pasteurized natural light photographer (FOGPNLP) and you can put a logo to that effect on your stationery and website (yearly license applies, first year free)

CL photogs look out! Only 10
FOGPNLPs will be licensed in any state, so get yours now.

Angel is stirring up the drama again! lol!

Hahaha!!!! Actually looking for some insight! I've been really enjoying doing pet portraits! For most photography jobs the lighting and eqiupment costs so much money, takes time to get said equipment for any type of job. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the most recommended lighting for pet portraits is natural light (hence my pet portrait thread a fewdays ago). I am not looking to start charging for my photography or calling myself a professional anytime soon, just thinking of the future. I thought that maybe pet portraits would be a cheaper and a more practical avenue to start with if using natural light. And that would give me a chance to save some money for equipment, build up some clients, get myself out there. It just seems like a more practical way to start. I don't want to just be starting on my first job and have a $20,000 wedding on my shoulders.

But again, I don't plan on calling myself a professional or charging anytime soon. Just trying to weigh out my options and deciding what direction I want to go in so I can specifically practice and focus in that area. I'm taking a business/marketing course along with my photography program.

thankfully my husband makes enough to support me, so I can really take my time with school, learning and not rush it. He makes enough that I don't need a full time income. Some extra cash a month would suffice!

Last edited:
Did you get your DLSR yet? :)

Most reactions

Back