What are your thoughts on natural light photographers

Of course, this brings out everyone who wants to show how un-studio their flash images are.

OK for them.
I'd rather try to get something decent, knowing what I know now and not carry any more stuff, or pose people - just pressing the button.
I don't want to be the consummate pro, getting the shot because I know everything.
I want to putz along doing things they way I want to - like people who use film, do gelatin prints, etc.
I'm totally happy in my semi-Luddite-ism.

p693715289-5.jpg

p881964773-4.jpg

p754320387-4.jpg

Most of the "natural light" photographers I know.. don't know how to use flash worth a darn, so they prefer to shoot natural light. And since most them don't even know how to shoot natural light very well.. I would call them amateurs even though they call themselves PRO's.

Natural light can be difficult to work with most of the day.. harsh light, harsh shadows, etc. There are only a couple hours per day when the light is friendly to a "natural light photographer".. the rest of the time, either one doesn't shoot, one modifies that "natural light" (is it still natural at this point?) or one adds to the light using flash / strobe.

I agree that many of those that use this as a marketing tool.. don't know any other way to shoot! God help these people if the light isn't perfect.. or if the light isn't there!

My definition of a PRO level photographer is one that can get good, well exposed, natural looking shots... no matter what the conditions (day, night, cloudy, bright, harsh, soft, etc... WHATEVER). Of course, some subject are only going to be shot with "natural light" by their very nature.. Landscapes for instance. Often the optimal choice for a lot of subjects, is a mixture of modified natural light combined with flash to fill.

If someone states they do portraiture "Only by natural light" I am going to be skeptical of their skills, until I see their work.. because they probably fall into that class of photographers we classify as "Craigslist or FB Photographers". And limiting oneself to only the few "nice" daylight hours to shoot in.. is BS.. and no way to make a living.

It is usually a Bullsh1t Amatuer term...... Natural light photographer.. WHATEVER! :)

Most of the "natural light" photographers I know.. don't know how to use flash worth a darn, so they prefer to shoot natural light. And since most them don't even know how to shoot natural light very well.. I would call them amateurs even though they call themselves PRO's.

Natural light can be difficult to work with most of the day.. harsh light, harsh shadows, etc. There are only a couple hours per day when the light is friendly to a "natural light photographer".. the rest of the time, either one doesn't shoot, one modifies that "natural light" (is it still natural at this point?) or one adds to the light using flash / strobe.

I agree that many of those that use this as a marketing tool.. don't know any other way to shoot! God help these people if the light isn't perfect.. or if the light isn't there!

My definition of a PRO level photographer is one that can get good, well exposed, natural looking shots... no matter what the conditions (day, night, cloudy, bright, harsh, soft, etc... WHATEVER). Of course, some subject are only going to be shot with "natural light" by their very nature.. Landscapes for instance. Often the optimal choice, is a mixture of modified natural light combined with flash to fill.

If someone states they do portraiture "Only by natural light" I am going to be skeptical of their skills, until I see their work.. because they probably fall into that class of photographers we classify as "Craigslist or FB Photographers". And limiting oneself to only the few "nice" daylight hours to shoot in.. is BS.. and no way to make a living.

It is usually a Bullsh1t Amatuer term...... Natural light photographer.. WHATEVER! :)

^^^^^^^^^^^ Indeed =)

There is absolutely no difference between natural light photographers and strobe photographers.

It is all light.

Either one understands photographic lighting or does not understand it, period.

Well I only use natural light because I can't afford strobes yet. But if I could, I would go flash all the way. There are times when natural light looks good but it's not always available

There is absolutely no difference between natural light photographers and strobe photographers.

It is all light.

I agree.. but would you agree that the majority of those who advertise themselves as "natural light photographers" don't appear to understand Photographic Lighting? And usually turn out questionable work, for supposed professionals?

A truly gifted photographer will make any lighting appear natural.

Photographic lighting should be like a woman's make-up. Hours of preparation go into a project which, in the end, will make it look like nothing at all was done. It matters not a whit what your light source is: Sun strobe, speedlight, or flashlight, you have to know how to control and shape it to acheive the desired result.

I continue to be baffled by those think that "natural" [i.e. sunlight] is easier to use than strobes/speedlights. Every one of my studio lights has controls which allow me to set the amount of light output. They're fitted with movable stands which allow me to position them exactly where I want them, and modifiers to shape and "modify" the light as I need. No matter how hard I look, I can't find an output control for the sun, nor the lightstand upon which it is mounted so I can move it to a new location. Hmmm... which is easier to use?

It is all light.

I agree.. but would you agree that the majority of those who advertise themselves as "natural light photographers" don't appear to understand Photographic Lighting? And usually turn out questionable work, for supposed professionals?

I really don't pay too much attention to what people say they are or are not.

I pay attention to the results they produce.

I think most advanced professionals would not group themselves into a certain catagory unless it was for some sort of marketing reasoning.

Photographic lighting should be like a woman's make-up. Hours of preparation go into a project which, in the end, will make it look like nothing at all was done. It matters not a whit what your light source is: Sun strobe, speedlight, or flashlight, you have to know how to control and shape it to acheive the desired result.

I continue to be baffled by those think that "natural" [i.e. sunlight] is easier to use than strobes/speedlights. Every one of my studio lights has controls which allow me to set the amount of light output. They're fitted with movable stands which allow me to position them exactly where I want them, and modifiers to shape and "modify" the light as I need. No matter how hard I look, I can't find an output control for the sun, nor the lightstand upon which it is mounted so I can move it to a new location. Hmmm... which is easier to use?

Good Points! But you don't constantly shoot on AUTO or "P" either (if ever).... so you don't qualify as a NLP! (Natural Light Photographer!)! LOL!

I've seen a lot of negativity towards those who consider themselves natural light photographers. Wondered of anyone here wasn't opposed to it.

And how many of these people had work that was worth looking at? Did any of them demonstrate any knowledge or ability to shoot with any other kind of light? Please post some links to the people you are referring to.. let us check them out! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back