What Best Lens portrait for [ T7i ]

"Best" doesn't really give us much to go on. What is best for you, may not be best for me etc.

Many would say that the EF 135mm F2 L is one of the best Canon lenses for portraits.
Some people really like the EF 85mm F1.2 L.
I don't have either of those, but I really love my EF 70-200mm F2.8 L for portraits.

I can't comment on Canon-specific glass, but in order of preference:

1. 200mm f2;
2. 135 DC (don't believe there's a Canon equivalent); and
3. 85mm 1.4

For portraits it takes more than 1 lens because there are so many different types of portraits.
One person or multiple people, head shot, head & shoulders, 3/4, full body, in studio, environmental, etc.
When I was still making portraits for a living I had 14 lenses, though a lot of those didn't get used very often.

Like John my favorite portrait lens for 1 or 2 people was a 200 mm f/2 prime lens, with my 135 mm DC f/2 prime second and my 105 mm DC f/2 prime 3rd. For large groups shot outside I usually used a 300 mm f/2.8 prime.
DC stands for Defocus Control, a Nikon feature that lets the photographer selectively soften (defocus) elements in the background or foreground.

There are loads of lenses that can and are used for portraits. (I've seen fantastic portraits taken with tilt-shift lenses ... but would not recommend that for anyone just starting out.)

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II is extremely popular and frequently used as a portrait lens (even though that's not it's intended purposes... it's just that at 200mm & f/2.8... it works really well). This is a very versatile lens and a top lens in the lineup. It's arguably *the* best 70-200 in the industry (and rumor has it that Canon has a version III expected soon). When the lens is used for portraits, it's typically outdoors and at (or near) the 200mm end of the range with a low focal ratio (typically f/2.8 to f/4) and creates very pleasant background blur.

On a budget... the 85mm f/1.8 would work well. There's also an 85mm f/1.4L IS USM and 85mm f/1.2L USM ... but those cost considerably more.

Canon does make a 135mm f/2L USM (I own this lens) ... this is probably more of an outdoor portrait lens (as is the 70-200 when used near the 200mm end) because you'll have to get some distance between camera & subject to fit the frame.

The 85mm or even the 50mm f/1.4 could be good as well. If doing a lot of indoor shots... the 50mm may be a better idea because it doesn't require that move back so far to get your subjects in the frame.

Short focal lengths are usually avoided for portraits due to wide-angle distortion... but just occasionally you'll find a photography who pulls it off well.

Long focal length lenses that also have low focal ratios tend to be pretty good at creating strong background blur.

There are a lot of different portrait types so portraiture requires having a suite of lenses.
Usually, the more people in the portrait the longer the focal length of the lens.

Before I retired I shot the vast majority of the portraits I made using prime lens having telephoto focal lengths.
Wide-angle and normal focal lengths like 50 mm put the photographer in most people's 'personal space', closer than most people are comfortable with.
Here is a list of the focal lengths I used the most:
• 85 mm f/1.4 ... Price new, these days - $1600
• 105 mm f/2 - $1200 3rd most used
• 135 mm f/2 - $1400 2nd most used
• 180 mm f/2.8 - $1000
• 200 mm f/2 - $5700 ***My most used focal length
• 300 mm f/2.8 - $5500

Shiz***ttt .. that rich people play ,, for me can't affort :1219:

Shiz***ttt .. that rich people play ,, for me can't affort :1219:
Relax! Once you decide on a lens, search for used lenses. I have purchased at least 10 used lenses for a fraction of the cost when new. Be careful with your evaluation, and purchase only good examples.

Use the recommendations posted above in #5, and begin your search. I have purchased on E-Bay and Amazon, and have had very good luck with the quality of lenses that I received.

buy a used lens just like buy a used car , risky :1219:

I have a full frame and the T7i. I would use the full frame for portraits given a choice. I have the 85mm f1.8 ($400) and the 50mm f1.8 ($120). My preferred portrait lens is the 85mm even on the T7i but depending on the situation, on the APS-C, that may put you to "close". I suppose that regardless of the body, if you said I could only keep one, I would take the 85 f 1.8. I really like it.

I suppose if price is no object the 50mm f1.2 would be great on an APS-C.

BTW, I have the 70-200mm f 2.8 and I know many people use it as a portrait lens with excellent results. I never think of it that way but as many have pointed out already, it is situational.

Most reactions

Back