What can one read from a photograph

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last couple of days I was telling my thoughts on a nice number of posted photographs. I was in a mood for that... I don't say much and I don't explain much, mostly because English is my second language and in some point I'm left out of needed words.
However... giving c&c to someone also means that you'll get a reaction from OP. What kind of reaction will that be, we, people who tell our opinion, don't know. In most of cases I think, OP reacts fine, accept what has been told and learn from it.

I just thought that we could perhaps give some insights to beginners, in terms of What can one read from a photograph?

A photograph can tell to an experienced viewer much more then someone who just started can imagine.

When it's about people f.e I instantly notice technicalities but also, and more important I can tell lots of about the subject of the photo.
When it's about nature, I think -light and then composition
Product, food- technique...
Lots of times I recognize in what stage the photographer is, meaning that I went trough that same stage, because we really do have some common stages we go trough in the beginning.

I enjoy reading images of photographers who are years and years ahead of me...

How do you read a photograph? What do you read first?

Last edited:
I go through a process.

How is it composed?
What does the composure say about the intended subject?
What does the subject say about the artistic intent?
How do things like lighting sell the intent?
How do other technical aspect affect my feelings?

A few more things but mostly that. Then I decide if I it's "good" or "bad".

Subject material - Yes, I'm biased, so what? (Insects don't do much for me.)
Composition (in general)
Exposure
Pose (if portrait for instance)
Composition (details)
Perceived intent vs. outcome

How is it composed?
What does the composure say about the intended subject?
What does the subject say about the artistic intent?
How do things like lighting sell the intent?
How do other technical aspect affect my feelings?
Those are some really good questions a beginner could also ask themselves when thinking about what and how to capture the scene or the subject they want.

Subject material - Yes, I'm biased, so what? (Insects don't do much for me.)
Composition (in general)
Exposure
Pose (if portrait for instance)
Composition (details)
Perceived intent vs. outcome
I wanted to say that sometimes I intentionally analize the picture I have no interest at because that will teach me something also.. but yeah, I'm with you when it comes to insects.

Perceived intent vs. outcome- yes!

I think I usually comment on whatever strikes me or stands out first, then anything else that I notice and seems significant. I think I tend to see things that I keep an eye out for in my own (any potentially distracting elements in the frame, how it's framed, whatever I notice about pattern or lines or shapes, etc.). If the image projects any particular mood or feeling, etc.

Different people probably bring their own experiences into what they see in a photograph.

1000 words

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

If a person is the subject--I look at EXPRESSION FIRST
--then the POSE
--then the lighting on subject
--next the background and its lighting

All this takes about 2 or 3 seconds....

If the subject is a natural landscape or a man made landscape (architectural) with NO people in it:

--overall visual IMPACT--how does it affect me?
--then I break it down--Composition (foreground, midground, background)
--center of interest (Is there one?)
--lighting (center of interest vs. background)

If there are PEOPLE in the landscape then I COMBINE ALL THESE CRITERIA---this takes a couple extra seconds!

All this comes from MANY years of judging amateur and professional print competitiions....

Guess I do things a bit backwards. No matter the subject of the photo I look at the forest first, then I may or may not concentrate on the trees. Do I or do I not like the Forest. Frankly I think people try to read too much into things like this, and most things in life.

Guess I do things a bit backwards. No matter the subject of the photo I look at the forest first, then I may or may not concentrate on the trees. Do I or do I not like the Forest. Frankly I think people try to read too much into things like this, and most things in life.

I was going to say the same thing. Well, not with the forest metaphor, but same concept.

First, I pay attention to my gut reaction: do I react positively or negatively? Then I measure the strength of my reaction: do I just shrug and think, "meh" or do I recoil in horror? Or, if it's a good reaction, do I shrug and think, " 'Sokay" or do I lean in to get a closer look as I am ooooh-ing and aaaah-ing?

Once I gauge my reaction, I try to figure out why I had that reaction. I'll scan the picture and see what sticks out in a good or bad way. Sometimes it's pretty obvious but other times I really have to think about what I am looking at. I don't always look for the same things first - at least not that I'm aware of.

I don't do this with every picture, especially the ones that are just 'meh' but sometimes I'll analyze as a way to sort of check myself. I like to understand my reactions, true, but I also want to challenge myself and try to be more open-minded and give something a chance that I might not like at first. It doesn't always work. Lots of times I will try to like something and try to give it credit for all the things it may have done right...and then still end up hating it.

And yes, sometimes the subject sways me one way or another. I like macro but dear lord, enough with the bugs! And I'm really not that into portraits, so I usually don't check those threads out unless it's by someone that I know will deliver an interesting photograph (I'm looking at you, Dan Ostergren! :) )

As a beginner, I find this post (and the current replies) fascinating and insightful. Thank you to OP and everyone for your input. I think that from what I am hearing, I can find ways to produce better photos.

I was going to say the same thing. Well, not with the forest metaphor, but same concept.

First, I pay attention to my gut reaction: do I react positively or negatively? Then I measure the strength of my reaction: do I just shrug and think, "meh" or do I recoil in horror? Or, if it's a good reaction, do I shrug and think, " 'Sokay" or do I lean in to get a closer look as I am ooooh-ing and aaaah-ing?

Once I gauge my reaction, I try to figure out why I had that reaction. I'll scan the picture and see what sticks out in a good or bad way. Sometimes it's pretty obvious but other times I really have to think about what I am looking at. I don't always look for the same things first - at least not that I'm aware of.

I don't do this with every picture, especially the ones that are just 'meh' but sometimes I'll analyze as a way to sort of check myself. I like to understand my reactions, true, but I also want to challenge myself and try to be more open-minded and give something a chance that I might not like at first. It doesn't always work. Lots of times I will try to like something and try to give it credit for all the things it may have done right...and then still end up hating it.

And yes, sometimes the subject sways me one way or another. I like macro but dear lord, enough with the bugs! And I'm really not that into portraits, so I usually don't check those threads out unless it's by someone that I know will deliver an interesting photograph (I'm looking at you, Dan Ostergren! :) )

Generally the why doesn't matter to me. I like it, I don't like it or I don't care. Trying to analyze the reasons is a waste of time for me.

Generally the why doesn't matter to me. I like it, I don't like it or I don't care. Trying to analyze the reasons is a waste of time for me.

That's fine - I know not everyone likes to analyze. I can't really help it. My brain doesn't usually just let things go :confused:

I used to analyse - but now, I just let the image hit me. However, with most images, it's a gentle tap at best. Mildly interesting, but if this was a wine-tasting, I'd pass on the second sip. Some, on the other hand - require a second and third look, and each time something else is revealed. Those are the images that reward an inquisitive viewer with waves of "aha" pleasure. There are some on this forum who always merit a look.

As a beginner, I find this post (and the current replies) fascinating and insightful. Thank you to OP and everyone for your input. I think that from what I am hearing, I can find ways to produce better photos.

That's I was hoping for when I posted this because I know how it was for me in the beginning of the journey.

I don't analyze..I find that it stifles me creatively .....the more I think while I shoot the less it becomes about the image that first attracted me human/plant/landscape/whatever and more about the rules... I am not really about the rules

Most reactions

New Topics

Back