What do you like in a sunset?

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Below I have 2 photos from a sunset on Saturday. One is an HDR and the other is not. When I take photos of sunsets I personally like the horizon or whatever may be in the foreground to be a silhouette. Given this was a field out in the middle of nowhere and I was using a short lens I was limited on what I could make a foreground object.

I prefer the colors in the sky on the non HDR one but what I wanted to know from everyone is when you see sunset photos or take them, what do you like in them? I ask because I figure some of you may prefer the one where the field is visible.

I also want to add that I like to include a lot of sky in sunset shots because I usually find it more interesting than the ground or whatever is in the shot.

Thanks.
Any c&c, tips or input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• $image-3677556521.jpg
    $image-3677556521.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 133
  • $image-3783244518.jpg
    $image-3783244518.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 141
I guess really it depends on the sunset, the ground and the patterns made by the sunset. For your one above I prefer the silhouette version but if, for example it was a sea/beach scene i would like to see some beach and sea....

Somewhere between the two would really work for me.

I'm starting to think of sunsets as backgrounds rather than a subject in their own right and like to include something else in the shot but that may just be because I'm not great at taking pictures of sunsets!

Generally, I like a sunset that shows some kind of a foreground object, or scene. Pretty sky colors are nice, and so I do enjoy deep,dark,richly-saturated skies--but, I also like to be "shown" something in the foreground...trees in silhouette, or sea stacks, or a small close-in scene. And I like the scene to be clearly shown, not far away and distant and tiny.

Generally, I like a sunset that shows some kind of a foreground object, or scene. Pretty sky colors are nice, and so I do enjoy deep,dark,richly-saturated skies--but, I also like to be "shown" something in the foreground...trees in silhouette, or sea stacks, or a small close-in scene. And I like the scene to be clearly shown, not far away and distant and tiny.

When given the chance I always prefer to add or include a foreground object. Here are some from 2012 at Cedar Point.

Attachments

• $image-1096448815.jpg
    $image-1096448815.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 131
  • $image-509055918.jpg
    $image-509055918.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 129
  • $image-2741257722.jpg
    $image-2741257722.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 128
  • $image-2196399944.jpg
    $image-2196399944.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 134
YES! Those are excellent foreground objects!!! I especially like the one with the cable cars and the ride, and also the one with the rounded, 4-columned "spire" thingy!! While the sunset skies are not especially awesome, this is exactly the kind of large, prominent, interesting foreground objects that I love to see in sunset shots made in urban environments.

YES! Those are excellent foreground objects!!! I especially like the one with the cable cars and the ride, and also the one with the rounded, 4-columned "spire" thingy!! While the sunset skies are not especially awesome, this is exactly the kind of large, prominent, interesting foreground objects that I love to see in sunset shots made in urban environments.

A few years ago I lived in Pittsburgh. I wish I had a decent camera back then cause the city life offers up so many amazing opportunities for photos. I wish all these cornfields were as entertaining. Ha

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I wish there would have been some clouds. Clouds always make sunsets look better than a standard gradation.

I kinda like to have a sun that is setting in mine. :lmao:

It really, REALLY depends on where I am. Sometimes, it's a spectacular sky but there is nothing visually interesting where I am, so I try to get as much sky as possible and as little land. Other times, there's something interesting in the foreground that can really add interest. Other times, the landscape IS particularly interesting--for instance, at my cousin's farm, where you have beautiful hills, a fence line that can create some nice leading lines, a barn and then a spectacular sunset.

There's just no ONE thing I'd say I "prefer" for my sunsets. Except for the sun, setting.

I DO however have a STRONG preference for how to WATCH a sunset. On a beach, with a margarita in my hand. :lmao:

I kinda like to have a sun that is setting in mine. :lmao:

It really, REALLY depends on where I am. Sometimes, it's a spectacular sky but there is nothing visually interesting where I am, so I try to get as much sky as possible and as little land. Other times, there's something interesting in the foreground that can really add interest. Other times, the landscape IS particularly interesting--for instance, at my cousin's farm, where you have beautiful hills, a fence line that can create some nice leading lines, a barn and then a spectacular sunset.

There's just no ONE thing I'd say I "prefer" for my sunsets. Except for the sun, setting.

I DO however have a STRONG preference for how to WATCH a sunset. On a beach, with a margarita in my hand. :lmao:

Haha. Whenever my sunset photos have little ground it's because I'm usually out and about and don't wanna miss the beauty of nature.

Nothing to do with the images shown...but the topic brought this to my mind....

You know your a photographer when you see a setting sun, and instead of shooting the sun & the sky, you turn around and look to shoot things that are lit by the beautiful light from the setting sun.

drift cars? yes i like drift cars in my sunset shots lol. Your first two shots I think i'd like to see something in the middle of the two you have. little darker then the first, but not a complete sillouette. Your park ones I really like, nice job on those. guess it just depends on the setting and picture, some work better darker, some work better when you can see the foreground a bit. Truly not one simple answer.

MDU2-1 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

Sorry for the watermark, uploaded the wrong one.

drift cars? yes i like drift cars in my sunset shots lol. Your first two shots I think i'd like to see something in the middle of the two you have. little darker then the first, but not a complete sillouette. Your park ones I really like, nice job on those. guess it just depends on the setting and picture, some work better darker, some work better when you can see the foreground a bit. Truly not one simple answer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/9305467704/

MDU2-1 by Square1 photography, on Flickr

Sorry for the watermark, uploaded the wrong one.

That's an awesome photo! Who doesn't like drifting?

Nothing to do with the images shown...but the topic brought this to my mind....

You know your a photographer when you see a setting sun, and instead of shooting the sun & the sky, you turn around and look to shoot things that are lit by the beautiful light from the setting sun.

I've done that before and it is quite beautiful. Same with sunrises. However I always look at the sun cause its memorizing to me. Haha

Thanks, didn't want to hijack your post or anything , I just thought it was kinda funny, and then Big Mike was posting what he had said and I was kind of chuckling to myself because for the above shot I was on the other side of the course and looked behind me and saw the suns rays shining thru and then new I needed to get to the other side of the track, there was only about 4 runs left to the event and I literally ran across the track between runs. first run I got where I wanted to be and the settings and then they did their last run and I basically had that 10 seconds to get the shot as they drove by.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back