What's new

What filtersize to go for?

Kani

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Åland Islands, Finland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I have a D700 with only one lens, a Nikkor 70-300 VR with a filter size of 67mm.
But from my understanding there's some kind of standard of 77mm (which most lenses don't seem to follow tho =/)

Obviously I'm planning to get more lenses in the future. But would it be worth it to get a 67mm filter or should I try get 77mm and some kind of adapter?
 
If your going to increase your lens choice you might consider getting a step up ring and using a 77 as then you will only need one set of filters.

There aren't a lot of filters one needs with digital so it may be a moot point.What filters do you plan on using?
 
Thanks, that's kind of what i was thinking too.
I'm planning to get a circular polarizing filter, one or two ND filters for moving water photography and some graduated ND filters for landscape/sky photos.
 
It really depends on what sort of lenses you're going to get. 77mm is an informal standard for higher end zooms (Nikon 'gold-ring', Canon 'L') which are generally fast lenses (f2.8) with a large front element. If you're looking at for instance the Nikon 24-70 f2.8, or the 70-200 f2.8, then yes, buy the 77mm filter and an adapter ring. If you're planning on sticking to primes, or mid-range glass, maybe not.
​
 
What is the largest size you would need based on the lenses you currently own?

What is the largest size based on lenses that you plan on buying in the next year or two?

I went with the largest one I currently needed (67mm), because I figured that by the time I could afford a lens that needed 77mm filters, I would probably be able to afford one or two new filters too.

The cost difference isn't much, but the usability of the filter when using step-up rings is. I would prefer to never have to use them (step-up rings, that is), but I can deal with it for the savings...

Buying filters in a size that no lens I actually own used just seemed kinda stupid...
 
Last edited:
Thanks John and Josh maybe I will just get the 67mm filters after all and adjust later when needed.

How big and what kind of quality loss is there when using step up rings? Mainly with the filters I mentioned, circular polarizer, ND and ND grad.
 
There is no quality loss, just a 'usability' loss. For example, you probably won't be able to use a hood if the have a filter/step-up ring combo on the lens.

If using a hood is important to you, it will be annoying as hell. If you could care less about hoods, go ahead and use the step-up rings - it will not have any negative affects on image quality (other than maybe not being able to use a hood).

Personally, step-up rings are a good compromise and well worth it. I just wouldn't set yourself up to have to use one no matter what lens you're using.

Get filters in the largest size you need, and get rings for the rest.

edit
If there is some certain lens you plan on buying soon that uses larger filters than anything you have now, I would probably buy them in that size. But not unless you're sure that you're going to get it relatively soon.
 
What kind of filter do you want anyway?
 
Thanks Josh, I'll check the bigger lenses and see if I actually need any of them.

Schwettylens:
I mentionet it earlier but here it is again :)
"I'm planning to get a circular polarizing filter, one or two ND filters for moving water photography and some graduated ND filters for landscape/sky photos."
 
Don't forget with the use of a step-up ring you also lose the ability to mount your lenshood. This isn't a problem for polarisers where the hood is in the way anyway and can't really be properly used, but for filters like ND filters, reflections can be a bit of a pain.

Take cost into account. If you buy a $60 polariser, how much would you care about spending another $60 when you buy a $1500 lens? If all your lenses cost under $1000 and you're buying a $200 IR filter then things start looking very different again.

Having multiple filters is convenient. I have several polarisers, but only one IR filter and I use stepup rings for the IR filter for cost reasons.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom