What's new

what first DSLR

jadegirly2k

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Help I am so confused. I think I've over done it with the reviews and research that I've done a complete 360 degrees and back where I started. I studied photography years ago and have decided to take it back up. so wanted to purchase my first dslr

I started looking at the D90 but as the D7000 is due out any day now (UK) I wondered if I should get that. From there I went to the 550D 60D, 7D, and back to the D7000. Now I'm so totally confused between an older cam (cheaper) or newer cam (better tech) and then there is the list of lens I need to get as will be doing portrait, landscape, some sports and wildlife/macro.

therefore shutter speed is an issue for me which is why i'm not that keen on the 550d. I've tried everything except the d7000.

I want to make a solid investment but also not too much for a beginner. I seem to be stretching past the £2000 mark as I've been told to look at theses lenses -
70-200 f2.8 or f4.0,
28-75mm f2.8,
50mm f1.8 prime,
90mm f2.8 macro,
12-24mm

so just feeling completely lost. was hoping to get 3 lenses and my budget was/is £1500

thx

jade
 
Get the D7000. Worth the wait. I waited months for it and I was gearless. It was painstaking but glad I did. My D7000 is my first dSLR camera and I don't find it hard to use. All the buttons are well laid out. If you click my profile, then the statistics tab, the Find all threads started by rainking, you will see all the pictures I shared here.
 
If you can afford to get a D7000 then get that but the D90 is no slouch either and that may help get another lens as the D90 is a little cheaper.

As far as lenses, any of the 2.8 lenses would probably cost close to what your budget is or more. Unfortunately what you listed that you want to do requires different lenses but a zoom will help bridge the gap. Yes, the 2.8 zooms and primes are going to be better but as a DSLR beginner get into taking the photos and then add whatever you need/want later, although the 50mm 1.8 seems like a really good buy if you need that focal length.

Here in the States the D90 and I believe the D7000 come with the 18-105 kit lens and it is a good lens. Personally, I bought 2 zooms with my D90 - the 18 - 105 and the 70-300 VR and they both take great photos IMO. I have a large range of focal lengths with them but they aren't "fast" lenses. The D90 makes up for that with good high ISO performance (for at least for my needs) and I didn't break the bank when I bought the camera with lenses.
 
love the link shaunly. thats exactly the conclusion I've come to. buy the whole set up and be satisfied from day one rather then going older cheaper and trying to grow into it.
I am going to go for the D7000 with the 18-105 and buy a prime and a zoom on top. then that should keep me and give me a variety of lenses to work with for a long time.

thanks guys. just hope i dont have to wait much longer for the d7000. im itching to start.:lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom